Where to wire gauges

This is a discussion on Where to wire gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I read a while back about some power wires above the radio that you should use to wire your guages ...

Where to wire gauges

I read a while back about some power wires above the radio that you should use to wire your guages (boost, egt, etc), rather than using the clock wires. The wires are for the oem guage but if you dont have the oem guage the wires are tucked away. I cant find the thread that mentions these wires. I did search. Could someone link it for me. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I heard this before, I heard that it was actually a plug, so if you buy the oem+gauges it's a simple plug and play, but if it is a plug, should be a simple splice of the wires and finding out with wire is what, right?

yea I heard the same thing but when I looked I didnt see it so I wired my gauge to the ashtray light. Works fine obviously but I still wanna know.

Guages

I just did a 3 gauge pod install where the clock used to be. I was unable to locate anything else so I tapped into the clock wires which has everything you need; 12v always live, 12v ignition on, 12v with lights on and the ground. Some folks dig down to the radio harness, but isnt that the same thing and the clock wires are more readily accessible. Guess I am lazy...
    95 ERA Cobra - 396ci SVO block blown and injected
    04 WRX WRB - Stage 4 - 298whp on a Mustang Dyno - FOR SALE
    06 Legacy GT - Soon to be Stage 2
    07 Legacy Wagon 3.0R
    08 C6 Z06 427.ci, 505hp

They're there, I used them for my bezel gauges. I believe one of the wires is purple and the other is orange, but it's been a while. Mine were taped back onto themselves and the rest of the radio/clock wiring harnes, so I didn't see the empty connector at first. If I recall correctly there are two male spades inside the white plastic connector, so I used some female crimp-on connectors and they snapped right in. They work like a charm. The gauges dim with the rest of the dash lights.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell
    The gauges dim with the rest of the dash lights.
    Will have to find those wires instead of the clock, it would be nice to dim the gauges too!!