Is it necessary to have a boost gauge?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is it necessary to have a boost gauge? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I have an 06 WRX and this is my first turbo car. I was wondering if it's necessary to ...

Is it necessary to have a boost gauge?

Hello,

I have an 06 WRX and this is my first turbo car.

I was wondering if it's necessary to have a boost gauge? If things aren't boosting right, can you tell without a gauge?

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    IMHO it's not needed on a stock car, but it's a very good idea. You should notice a power loss if you were having major boost issues, but a BG would be a good tool to have for minor advance warnings. The 06 only runs like 11 psi so if you are running wastegate pressure (7ish) then you might not notice it power wise for a bit.

With that being said my 06 doesnt have a BG.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Is it 100% necessary? No, if it was all turbo cars would be required by law to have them.

Is it a good idea? Yes, a Boost gauge allows you to monitor your turbos ability to compress air, AND it impress the HS girls and the kids at the local parking lot meet (then again so does a huge auto-meter Tac w/ shift light yo!.)

Can you figure out problems w/o it? Maybe, but it is a lot easier to notice a problem by loooking at a gauge and saying, wait that is WAY too much boost, or wtf why is it so low at WOT?

I have the stock unit, it is good, just not pretty. Get the Maddad Clarity ones, they look like the $800 Defi gauges, black out and match the lighting/interior.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

If you plan on modding your car at all you absolutely need one. Otherwise, you're putting your engine at risk.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

Quote Originally Posted by Robert46123
    If you plan on modding your car at all you absolutely need one. Otherwise, you're putting your engine at risk.
    i 2nd that. stock you can get away with not having one cause its not really necessary, but if you even do as little as cobb stage 1 you need the gauge.
    05 CGM WRX

Robert,

What kind of gauge do you have and how much did you pay for the whole set up?

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    Get the Maddad Clarity ones, they look like the $800 Defi gauges, black out and match the lighting/interior.

any review of those as far as accuracy?

http://www.daddysscp.com/dcart4/prod...tid=135&cat=28

they look good, but never really saw them on here
    Quote Originally Posted by psb02wrx
    while you carpe diem, tell her to carpe deez nuts.
    Fun In the Snow
    STi in the making...

Quote Originally Posted by anthonywrx
    any review of those as far as accuracy?

http://www.daddysscp.com/dcart4/prod...tid=135&cat=28

they look good, but never really saw them on here
    Maddad makes good products. Ive never heard a complaint. I think the V2 ones are even more advanced. NASIOC has a lot of info on them.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

They are priced well, much better than how much the stock boost guage costs.

Does anyone think the dealership would have a problem installing that?
    '06 WRB WRX

If you get an AP, can't you just do a live boost reading from time to time on the AP itself and save the BG?
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Thug Nasty
    If you get an AP, can't you just do a live boost reading from time to time on the AP itself and save the BG?
    You've spent 20k on a car, probaly atleast another 1-2 grands in mod. Now why wouldnt you want to splurge the 150 for a good boost gauge to monitor it?
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by BREX888
    Robert,

What kind of gauge do you have and how much did you pay for the whole set up?
    I have the factory gauge which costs too much, but it already had it. It's an easy DIY installation though.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    *Total Loss*

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    You've spent 20k on a car, probaly atleast another 1-2 grands in mod. Now why wouldnt you want to splurge the 150 for a good boost gauge to monitor it?
    you just splurged $600 on EM, and it has a boost gauge in it.. kill 2 birds with 1 stone right there
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02
    you just splurged $600 on EM, and it has a boost gauge in it.. kill 2 birds with 1 stone right there
    It's kind of apples and oranges. The boost reading in the AP isn't a gauge. It's not very convenient as that cable runs between your legs. I guess you could velcro the AP to your dash, but it'd be pretty hard to read. Get a boost gauge...
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    *Total Loss*

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddy
    They are priced well, much better than how much the stock boost guage costs.

Does anyone think the dealership would have a problem installing that?
    They wouldn't have a problem installing it. You might have a problem paying for it as they'd expext at least a digit if not some sort of future payment of yet to be born children.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    *Total Loss*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.