boost gauge T line and firewall location?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on boost gauge T line and firewall location? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello this is my first post here. I have a 02 wrx and I have bought a pillar and boost ...

boost gauge T line and firewall location?

Hello this is my first post here.

I have a 02 wrx and I have bought a pillar and boost gauge. My question is what vacum line to T the gauge into and also where do you guys go through the firewall at on an A-pillar type gauge holder setup?

thanks,

Sigurd

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you should T off the vaccum line at the BOV. Make sure you don't kink the vaccum line when you put everything back together.

the easiest hole to get through the firewall is right behind and above the clutch pedal...you'll have to pull the IC to get to it. there's one even higher up, but its a pain to get to from the inside.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

wonderfull thank you.

by the way, there's constant power, switched power, and dimmed dash light power behind the radio. There should be a harness there that's meant for the stock boost gauge/tripple gauge cluster (your clock is plugged into it). Just make sure you don't tap constant power to power the gauge or it will drain your battery...and make sure you got dimmed power for the gauge light. Leave constant power alone that's meant to keep your clock from forgetting what time it is.

...unless you have a mechanical boost gauge, in which case there's no need for gauge power, just for the light bulb.

you can also get switched power by tapping the cigarette lighter (this is what I did for my gauges)
    Last edited by blarg; 10-02-2006 at 11:08 AM.
    go f*** yourself

ok cool. Yeah its just a mechanical Autometer 20psi.

I will probably just use the cigarette lighter power too because I dont really care if it dims I just want it on when I turn on the key and off when I turn off the key.

so the cigarette lighter looses power with the key off on the WRX?

I know my Taurus SHO would keep power even with the car off....

Quote Originally Posted by sigurd
    ok cool. Yeah its just a mechanical Autometer 20psi.

I will probably just use the cigarette lighter power too because I dont really care if it dims I just want it on when I turn on the key and off when I turn off the key.

so the cigarette lighter looses power with the key off on the WRX?

I know my Taurus SHO would keep power even with the car off....
    yes, the cigarette lighter gets no power when the ignition of in the "off" position. Most American cars leave it on. (both power points on my 06 Mustang stay on).
    go f*** yourself

alright thats what I will use then thanks man.

I should get the a pillar piece this week and get this gauge installed.

Is the hardware that comes with my Autometer fine to use?

I noticed people recomending the boost kit from WRXtra.com should I look into that?
    Last edited by sigurd; 10-02-2006 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sigurd
    alright thats what I will use then thanks man.

I should get the a pillar piece this week and get this gauge installed.

Is the hardware that comes with my Autometer fine to use?

what hardware? the vaccum line and wire? its probably fine. You won't need the mounting hardware. you just screw the gauge into the pod and it should be tight enough to just stay in place. I'd get some vampire clips for the electricals. That way you can just clip them to the wires on the cigarette lighter wiring, and if you ever want to remove it, you can, and it leave no trace.

just remember, you're going to have to ruin your A-pillar to make that pod work (I used drywall screws). It screws on to the existing A-pillar...the 2-sided tape sucks and won't hold, especially after you park the car in the sun a few times. You will have to cut holes into the stock A-pillar for wiring...they don't like to tell you that before you buy it.

however, a replacement A-pillar is about $32, you might want to order one from your dealer to have a clean one if you decide to go back to stock at some point.
    go f*** yourself

just so yah know, there is an unused harness behind the radio for the stock boost gauge. the dimmer switch will control the brightness of the boost gauge light if you use this harness. If you dont care then go with the cig lighter though seeing as it is easier
    282 AWHP...267 lb-ft torque.
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

"he's a domestic fan with a hunger for rice"

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah
    just so yah know, there is an unused harness behind the radio for the stock boost gauge. the dimmer switch will control the brightness of the boost gauge light if you use this harness. If you dont care then go with the cig lighter though seeing as it is easier

echo???
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

wow, missed that one hehe
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah
    wow, missed that one hehe
    -5 exp.

nice thread. ill be putting in my boost gauge this weekend hopefully (if i get the air conditioner in the house fixed and my gauge comes in) so this is good info.
    05 CGM WRX

btw where in the engine bay is the hole near the clutch. i just used the other one thats a pita to get to from inside the car. pulled the hose through with a string
    2005 WRB WRX Sedan

alright so my tracking says my autometer pod will be at the house after work. Finnally I can get this gauge in here.

one more thing. Is there anything special about removing the A pillar? Just remove the weather stripping and go from there I assume?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.