How many have done the STI cluster swap to their WRX?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How many have done the STI cluster swap to their WRX? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just wanting to see how many people have taken out their stock instrument cluster and replaced it with one from ...

How many have done the STI cluster swap to their WRX?

Just wanting to see how many people have taken out their stock instrument cluster and replaced it with one from an STI (MPH, tach, etc). For those of you that have done it, how hard is the installation?

would you do it over again if you had the chance to go back or is it more of a pain than it is worth?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

+1.

Also are you able to change the milage on the sti cluster, if so how?
    Blobeye Syndicate #26

'05 2.0l WRX, 245awhp, 243awtq. Cobb Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by lonedw86
    +1.

Also are you able to change the milage on the sti cluster, if so how?

lol i would hope you wouldent do that, as shurley there is some sort of law against it

I wanted my actual milage of my car to show up with the sti cluster. Not the milage stored on the sti cluster from the car it came out of.
    Blobeye Syndicate #26

Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the cluster stored the milage.
    Blobeye Syndicate #26

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    yes the milage info is stored in the cluster.

there are several companys that reprogram the milage readings for wreck purposes or if your thing fails,

however i dont know how your insurance co. will feel about altering milage
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

hmm. i thought it was stored in the ECM or something. www.subarugenuineparts.com sell the STI cluster (brand new) so i would have thought they wouldnt be selling it like they are selling an exhaust....just to anyone. i would have thought it would require a VIN to buy it if it altered miles.

something to dig into tomorrow with service and tech line.

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    ask jaime there. and see what she says about milage and what not. and get back to us...id like to know too!!
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

I dont understand the big deal with the STi cluster, i mean...its red, it has a shift light, it says STi and it had a exterior temp reading...otherwise its the same as the 04/05 wrx cluster. Not worth $500 if you ask me.

But, the install is simple, ive had my cluster out before. Its like 5 screws and a few harness plugs and you're done.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

isn't the MPH higher on the STi guages? I personally, am anti-red instrumentation. But to each their own.
    -Robert R.
    Touge Speed...

oh SNAP son!

yes the MPH goes to 160 insted of 140 on the wrx gauges

i dont care about the shift light or anything. I like the red illumination and it would be something out of the ordinary for a bugeye...especially around here. i dont know if i will actually do it. I happened to see one for sale on subarugenuineparts.com and just wondered how that worked.

for some reason i thought there was some extra wiring that had to be done, it wasnt just plug and play

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru
    i dont care about the shift light or anything. I like the red illumination and it would be something out of the ordinary for a bugeye...especially around here. i dont know if i will actually do it. I happened to see one for sale on subarugenuineparts.com and just wondered how that worked.

for some reason i thought there was some extra wiring that had to be done, it wasnt just plug and play
    You're probably thinking about the external temperature gauge. The WRX's don't have one, so I think you have to do something with the wiring for that.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

just found out that miles are stored in the cluster in the WRX's so no new cluster here. I imagine that there is a way to have the miles put into the new cluster, but just too much hassle for my use.

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru
    just found out that miles are stored in the cluster in the WRX's so no new cluster here. I imagine that there is a way to have the miles put into the new cluster, but just too much hassle for my use.
    Seems like a time consuming mod for the minimal benefit. There's been a couple of threads recently about people having trouble with the swap. Way more trouble than it's worth for those guys.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.