Child Seats In A WRX - How Tight ?

This is a discussion on Child Seats In A WRX - How Tight ? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is my first post . I am about to pull the trigger on a new 06' wagon. The deciding ...

Child Seats In A WRX - How Tight ?

This is my first post . I am about to pull the trigger on a new 06' wagon. The deciding factor I believe will be how much room the child seats take up. I am concerned as I am a little above average height at 6' and I will need to push my seat back a bit.

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Comples
    This is my first post . I am about to pull the trigger on a new 06' wagon. The deciding factor I believe will be how much room the child seats take up. I am concerned as I am a little above average height at 6' and I will need to push my seat back a bit.

Thanks for any input.
    How young are the children? If they are under 20lbs and you have to face the seat backwards, it's pretty tight. Especially with a tall person in front. I would definitely go to the dealer with the seat and try it, before I close the deal.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

The cherubs in question are 3 1/2 (faces forward) and 8 months (faces backwards, just beginning to get her sea legs about her). So she will be facing backwards for some time. I think I am going to the dealer tomorrow to give it a try. Keeping my fingers crossed as I want the WRX much more than I want the VUE. I will say this though, that VUE is a surprisingly sweet ride.

Thanks for the welcome.

I have an 03 sedan and an 8 month old. It really isn't that bad but then again I am comparing it to my old Integra that really sucked to get the carrier in there. The front facing one fits pretty good though.

I have an 02 WRX, my son is 2 and daughter is 5. I have plenty of room regardless of which one sits behind me. I am 6' 1" and don't even have the seat all the way back, if I wanted to I could put the seat all the way back and my kids would still have plenty of room.

I'm 5'10" and I have two child seats - one forward facing booster and one rear-facing for infants. I'm fine with the forward facing booster behind me. However, when I just had the convertible infant seat behind me, even when it was foward facing, it could get a little tight, depending on which brand. I had to switch with another seat we had so I get it comfortable. Different brands of seats fit differently - you just have to try it out.

Recaro child seats FTW!!

Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

I have a 3 month old toddler and '06 STI. If you're over 6', then you can forget about putting rear facing child cheat in driver side rear seat. I had to put it in passenger side with the front seat moved forward quite a bit. And I have Graco travel system baby seat/stroller. You shouldn't have problem with the wagon but I also cannot fit the stroller in the trunk.

This aint a family sedan for sure.

And by the way, test drive a Honda CRV. It doesn't have as much power as the Vue but will sell for much higher price than Vue in 3 years. Unless of course, you're trying to lease.

I Support ClubWRX
    The wagon is much more family-friendly. I have no problem putting both facing-forward seats in the back; as stated, a facing-backward seat would probably have to go behind the passenger if you're very tall.

Simply take the seats to the dealer and try them out.
    If this is going to be your primary family vehicle, I would honestly recommend something larger. If you and your S.O. go on vacation with the rugrats, and have to take pack-n-plays, baby toys, walkers, diapers, and all of the other crap that goes with really small kids, the WRX will be on the small side.

IBchildlesspeoplepostthatallyouneedisahondafittotr avelwith3kids.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Ya know, something like a Honda Fit might just be the perfect vehicle for traveling with kids.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Well Fellas -

No Joy. Not big enough. I took the seats with me and no it is just too tight. I friggin' love that car though. My only criticism is the ride is a little rough compared to my Jetta. Which of course is understandable due to the sport suspension on the WRX. The thing is bueatiful to.

Oh well. Believe it or not I am going to the dealer today to purchase a V6 FWD Saturn VUE. Not bad for an SUV with about 250 tor. and hp. Oh well. Maybe when the kids are older I can score the WRX.

Just know that whenever I see WRX's on the road a my eyes will light up with enthusiasm.

Enjoy.

hmmm. we've got the graco travel system thingy (the base that stays in the car). it's a tight fit, but it fits. i'm 6'0" and have the seat all the way back, but i keep the recline relatively straight because of my bad back. with the baby seat, it doesn't quite touch, but it's real close. i do have to say that i wouldn't want to travel this way on long trips where one of us has to sit next to our baby as the back bench would get pretty tight. that's what our mazda5 is for.

too bad it was too small for you guys. congrats on the vue.

[QUOTE=taz1004]I have a 3 month old toddler and '06 STI. If you're over 6', then you can forget about putting rear facing child cheat in driver side rear seat. I had to put it in passenger side with the front seat moved forward quite a bit. And I have Graco travel system baby seat/stroller. You shouldn't have problem with the wagon but I also cannot fit the stroller in the trunk.

UOTE]

I can get the stroller into the trunk its a little tight but it goes in. You just have to turn it a certain way.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rappy04
    I can get the stroller into the trunk its a little tight but it goes in. You just have to turn it a certain way.
    He was considering the wagon. You can put 3 strollers in there without effort.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by mountjonas
    hmmm. we've got the graco travel system thingy (the base that stays in the car). it's a tight fit, but it fits. i'm 6'0" and have the seat all the way back, but i keep the recline relatively straight because of my bad back. with the baby seat, it doesn't quite touch, but it's real close. i do have to say that i wouldn't want to travel this way on long trips where one of us has to sit next to our baby as the back bench would get pretty tight. that's what our mazda5 is for.

too bad it was too small for you guys. congrats on the vue.

I fell in love with the WRX. Telling myself that insurance was too high is how I am dealing with it.

The VUE is a surprisingly nice ride. I got the FWD V6. I splurged for the chrome package, sunroof, and side airbags. It has 250 hp and is pretty fast for what it is. It sure ain't no chipped VW (my last car) or WRX. The salesman asked me if I liked the speed of the VUE. I just grinned a little and said yeah. I wish I had the dough for the VUE Redline.

I do appreciate all the input from everyone. Happy motoring and be safe - just slow down a bit and waive if you see a blue VUE with a family of four.