Keyless entry on 02 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Keyless entry on 02 WRX within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just picked up a 2002 WRX wagon last week. I read that keyless entry was an option on the ...

Keyless entry on 02 WRX

I just picked up a 2002 WRX wagon last week. I read that keyless entry was an option on the 2002 and standard on the 03+. The car did not come with a remote but does have the security system installed ( it works BTW ).
    Any way to tell if the remote is missing or the option was not installed? I read in another post about a black module under the driver side dash with "lots of wires" coming out including a dark green one for key on usage.
    Thanks for any help or pics!
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If it has an alarm I bet the key fob is just missing. I had an 02 2.5RS, and it did not have any alarm, as it did not have keyless entry. I would check with Subaru and see if you can find one. They are a pain in the a** to program though.
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

Thx Tayhadar1, I also checked out the Subie Parts Online and found that you HAVE to have keyless entry if installing the security module. The whole keyless system was $60 that includes 2 remotes ( not programmed tho ).
    I'll check with the dealer but have found a few fobs on eBay for $10 or less. Trainrex posted the programming info and yes it does look like a PITA.
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

Glad I could help, and wagons FTW!
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmrider
    I just picked up a 2002 WRX wagon last week. I read that keyless entry was an option on the 2002 and standard on the 03+. The car did not come with a remote but does have the security system installed ( it works BTW ).
    Any way to tell if the remote is missing or the option was not installed? I read in another post about a black module under the driver side dash with "lots of wires" coming out including a dark green one for key on usage.
    Thanks for any help or pics!
    I special ordered my '02 from the factory and keyless entry was not an option but standard. FWIW, I didn't order it until March of '02, but you may have read incorrectly.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

Quote Originally Posted by Robert46123
    I special ordered my '02 from the factory and keyless entry was not an option but standard. FWIW, I didn't order it until March of '02, but you may have read incorrectly.
    I read it on Edmunds or KBB, maybe they were referring to the non-WRX models of the Impreza?!? Thanks for the info everyone, I'm heading for eBay now...
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by ktmrider
    I read it on Edmunds or KBB, maybe they were referring to the non-WRX models of the Impreza?!? Thanks for the info everyone, I'm heading for eBay now...
    Keyless entry was an option on the standard Impreza, so that may have been what it was.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

Update

Update, I found the keyless entry module behind and above the interior fuse box. Ordered a fob on Thur, hope to be rockin' soon!
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

Im in the same boat as you but mine only came with a single key and single fob. but how do i program a fob so i can get a spair?

Quote Originally Posted by epson1
    Im in the same boat as you but mine only came with a single key and single fob. but how do i program a fob so i can get a spair?
    Use this link, make sure to read ALL the way thru before starting tho! Subaru Keyless remote programming instructions
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

Update

Got the remote in the mail last night and programmed it. BTW the programming instructions are in the owners manual also!
    It took me 4 tries to get the keyless module in "program" mode. I finally had success by cycling the key very, very quickly ( procedure says 10x lock/on within 15 seconds ).
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.