Kartboy STS in 06

This is a discussion on Kartboy STS in 06 within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay .. so I'm installing right now. Can't seem to get the ball end of Kartboy to seat in the ...

Kartboy STS in 06

Okay .. so I'm installing right now. Can't seem to get the ball end of Kartboy to seat in the housing. Any suggestions?
    Drive, monkey, drive!

New England F4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hold the shifter as low as you can and keep it steady. Try and find and angle (I think i tilted it towards me) and wack it as hard as you can.

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    use a deadblow hammer of some sort. so you dont destroy the threads. i learned the hard way. but thats all you gotta do hit it with all your might

you can also use a regular hammer with a block of wood over the SS and hit the wood.
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

hold the shifter at the same angle that you pulled the stock one out and hit it with a rubber mallet it should pop right in. that's what I did.

I've heard that covering the top of the SS witha phonebook, then hitting the phonebook with a mallett helps a lot. You've really gotta hit it, though. Like I do with women.
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

Quote Originally Posted by kevlarcupid
    I've heard that covering the top of the SS witha phonebook, then hitting the phonebook with a mallett helps a lot. You've really gotta hit it, though. Like I do with women.
    +1

When they get stubborn. you just gotta wack 'em a few times

The short shifter, that is.

This was much tougher than I anticipated it to be. After trying everything else I ended up using a mini sledgehammer and just about all of my might. THWAP!

Just give it a real good wack and she'll pop in there.

Oh, and then I realized that the Kartboy SS does not fit with the Subaru short shifter linkage in!

So I had to take it back out and trim about 1/8" off each end of the shifter with a dremel/hacksaw/grinder bit and then wack it back in again. But it works now.

BTW, if you didn't install the bushings as well get them, and do it. They made a noticeable difference in shifter feel. Overall I'm very happy with this mod.
    Cobb Stage 2 '06 WRX, Aspen White & Wingless
    --------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #026