Just thought I'd post some pics of what it takes us to make a simple bracket out of aluminum, any of you with any machinists background out there will probably get a kick out of it! Alot of work for something pretty simple when you don't have all the right tools, but we made it work.
So we're working on re-doing Jarrad's (of PDXTuning) current audio install in his Legacy to change it up a bit and make it more show quality for the up coming SEMA show.
Looking at floating a piece of plexi I needed a strong, lightweight mounting bracket so I thought we'd use some quater inch aluminum, make a template, and router it out on the good old router.
Here's a couple of quick pics of what it took to make the template and then the actual bracket.
So to make these,
I had to make a wood template,
This plus some other jigs / templates were used to make the wood template, I actually made about three different versions before we came up with the final design.
After the template was made I made another out of half inch mdf (stronger when routering) then rough cut the shape out of the aluminum. This helps so the router doesn't have to work so hard, plus my fingers stand a much better chance of making it without damage due to the router grabbing!
After the routering of the aluminum I had to make a jig to hold the brackets on their edge and perfectly straight while I drilled and taped for the set screws.
The two set screws on the ends will hold the brackets in place on some aluminum rod, while the center hole will be used to actually mount the plexi to the bracket.
After all the holes were drilled and taped I hand sanded all the edges and faces in one direction to get a "grained" look that will match the JL Audio amp and other aluminum that's going to be used in the build out.
All this to make a simple bracket, if only we had a cnc or water jet setup!
We'll post some more pics here in a bit showing how the brackets were used, as well as the rest of the build. - Todd