Why we need a CNC router or Water Jet!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Why we need a CNC router or Water Jet! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just thought I'd post some pics of what it takes us to make a simple bracket out of aluminum, any ...

Why we need a CNC router or Water Jet!

Just thought I'd post some pics of what it takes us to make a simple bracket out of aluminum, any of you with any machinists background out there will probably get a kick out of it! Alot of work for something pretty simple when you don't have all the right tools, but we made it work.

So we're working on re-doing Jarrad's (of PDXTuning) current audio install in his Legacy to change it up a bit and make it more show quality for the up coming SEMA show.

Looking at floating a piece of plexi I needed a strong, lightweight mounting bracket so I thought we'd use some quater inch aluminum, make a template, and router it out on the good old router.

Here's a couple of quick pics of what it took to make the template and then the actual bracket.

So to make these,

I had to make a wood template,

This plus some other jigs / templates were used to make the wood template, I actually made about three different versions before we came up with the final design.

After the template was made I made another out of half inch mdf (stronger when routering) then rough cut the shape out of the aluminum. This helps so the router doesn't have to work so hard, plus my fingers stand a much better chance of making it without damage due to the router grabbing!

After the routering of the aluminum I had to make a jig to hold the brackets on their edge and perfectly straight while I drilled and taped for the set screws.

The two set screws on the ends will hold the brackets in place on some aluminum rod, while the center hole will be used to actually mount the plexi to the bracket.

After all the holes were drilled and taped I hand sanded all the edges and faces in one direction to get a "grained" look that will match the JL Audio amp and other aluminum that's going to be used in the build out.

All this to make a simple bracket, if only we had a cnc or water jet setup!

We'll post some more pics here in a bit showing how the brackets were used, as well as the rest of the build. - Todd
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Seriously.

Wow, dude.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Dude, your threads about making stuff are always awesome to read. That's some ingenuity applied to making the brackets. Keep up the good work, man!
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

what type of router did you use and bit?

Tell me about it.

I have a decent investment in wood working tools, and every single time I take on a new project, I end up needing a tool for a specific job that I don't have, so I have to improvise and be creative with the tools that I do have.

It is very frustrating, but somewhat rewarding. Though to be honest I'd rather have all the right tools and get the job done faster and easier!

Nice work, those parts came out awesome.

awesome.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Haha,it's true you can never have too many tools.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.