Speaking of Speakers
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Speaking of Speakers within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking to upgrade the speakers in my '06 TR, and was wondering if anyone had installed aftermarket tweeters behind ...

Speaking of Speakers

I'm looking to upgrade the speakers in my '06 TR, and was wondering if anyone had installed aftermarket tweeters behind the grills by the door handles. The stock TR config is a 5.25 at the bottom of the door with no seperate tweeter. Because all speakers sit low in the car, the sound sucks. Sounds like my tunes are playing through mud. I'm looking agt a Infinity component system with a 5.25 woofer down low and a 2" tweeter up. It looks like since there is already a grill that a tweeter install would be easy, but I just wanted to know if anyone had taken the door panel apart to se what's behind the grill. Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just took my door panel off today. There was enough room behind that little grilles near the door handle, but it didn't look like anything to easily mount it to. Also, the 5.25" (or 6.5") down low will need a mounting bracket/adapter, probably with a spacer, since the factory speakers are extremely shallow and anything deeper than those will interfere with the window when rolled down. I haven't found any brackets that will work with it, yet.

I will be getting this setup to work eventually (with 5.25" mids and tweeters), so I'll let you know how I do it once I'm done.

Anyone know where to get an adapter/spacer for these things?

I hate to say it, but you do need to do a search for speakers. This is a very common topic and there are some wonderful photos on how people have done their installations.

The factory "premium" sound system puts some cheap tweeters behind those grills.

It's been 3 years since I installed my separates. Tweeters high in the doors, crossovers in the space where the arm rest is, and shallow 6.5" woofers down low. Brackets had to be fabricated from the friendly local hardware store, and I used the trim rings as spacers for the 6.5"ers.

It's an easy install.

Of course my car did not come with speakers from the factory...
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

Just for jollies I did a quick search and stumbled across this old thread:

STi speakers sizes.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.