radar detector
Results 1 to 11 of 11

This is a discussion on radar detector within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; found the one i want . fits in a gauge pod sweet , what do yall think http://www.buyradardetectors.com/pro...er-fuzion.aspx...

  1. #1
    Banned C89ZX7R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond Virginia
    Posts
    1,002

    radar detector

    found the one i want . fits in a gauge pod sweet , what do yall think
    http://www.buyradardetectors.com/pro...er-fuzion.aspx

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Whatever you like is what counts. I'm not a fan of hidden or remote sensor mounting type detectors. I have the V1 and it has this option, but I don't use it. It's remote head unit is acutally smaller than the one you are looking at by the way. The thing is, with remote sensor mounting (usually in the grill somewhere), you loose some height, which is key to being able to better detect upcoming po-po. Any edge is good in my book.

    Check out www.valentine1.com if you are looking for something small and remote mount. I think they call it the "concealed display". Expensive, but in my book, there is none better on the market. And it's the only one that give you directional arrows to tell you where the source is. This is by far the best feature of any detector I've ever owned.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  4. #3
    Banned C89ZX7R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond Virginia
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Whatever you like is what counts. I'm not a fan of hidden or remote sensor mounting type detectors. I have the V1 and it has this option, but I don't use it. It's remote head unit is acutally smaller than the one you are looking at by the way. The thing is, with remote sensor mounting (usually in the grill somewhere), you loose some height, which is key to being able to better detect upcoming po-po. Any edge is good in my book.

    Check out www.valentine1.com if you are looking for something small and remote mount. I think they call it the "concealed display". Expensive, but in my book, there is none better on the market. And it's the only one that give you directional arrows to tell you where the source is. This is by far the best feature of any detector I've ever owned.
    yes but the thing is , va cops probably know what a valentine looks like , o and its illegal to run radar in VA . thats why i'm looking at this . besides you can mount a sensor in the hood scoop on the sti .

  5. #4
    Registered User WRX88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,304
    Do they have radar detector detectors in VA? I thought i may have heard that somewhere. For a remote display and concealed sensor, that piece looks nice.

  6. #5
    Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX88
    Do they have radar detector detectors in VA? I thought i may have heard that somewhere. For a remote display and concealed sensor, that piece looks nice.

    Nearly positive that the VA cops have detectors. The only detector out at the moment that can beat any radar detector detector(DD) is the (funnily enough) the Beltronics STI Driver ( http://www.radarbusters.com/products...sti_driver.asp ), but its expensive. Just be forwarned that just about anything else is detectable with the right equipment. Most don't have them since its not worth the cost to detect detectors unless they are illegal, but you might reconsider your purchase. No idea how many DD's VA actually has, but you have a good chance of getting busted even without getting pulled over. You'll get a decent sized fine and they confiscate your detector too. So just think about it if you live in VA or DC.

    On another note, that thing looks cool, and I like the whole gauge pod mounted idea. It would fit in well with other guages and such and be in a good place that won't move around or anything. I've heard mixed review on Whistler stuff, but its probably comparable to all the other ones in its price range. Hate to say it, but if I was gonna get a detector I would probably go all out and get the V1 or similar. The V1 is upgradeable and when they come up with new technology you just send it in and they add it on. It also has multi directional detection so you can see which direction its coming from.

    JH
    Last edited by Electric-Mayhem; 08-16-2006 at 09:59 PM.

  7. #6
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    I drive through VA a lot with my V1. Never had a problem. The only time I've ran into the po-po with detector detectors was in Canada.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  8. #7
    Registered User D0WNxSH1FT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Posts
    6,545
    Makes sense since radar detectors are illegal in Canada.

    I have the Valentine V1 w/ Concealed display. I havent had any trouble w/ cops seeing it. This is what i do:

    Attach the V1 to the passenger visor, then run the wiring down the a-pillar (underneath), then under the dash, then have it pop out by the Cig-lighter. In the cig lighter is where you have to plug it in obviously, but mounted right there on the plug-in is my Concealed Display that u just plug the V1 into and it plugs into the Cig-lighter. Now if i get pulled over with the V1 on (which has happened...i was on private property just crusing and they had local PD patrolling, no ticket tho. besides that its been an amazing investment) all I do is unplug the concealed display and put it in my armrest and i have an 05 so the cig-lighter has a door that just closes and u cant see the wire. then i leave the radar on the visor, thanks to the frame of the car when the cop comes up he cant see the radar. He would have to crouch all the way down and look up at my ceiling (but they like to stand tall). Ive never had an issue. And if I had time I could just unplug the V1, take it off the visor and push the wire away by the visor and it would be gone (this is what i do when I park).

    Valentine 1: $399
    Concealed Display: $40
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

  9. #8
    Registered User dsel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chocolate City
    Posts
    3,769
    I would be hesitant to install a radar detector in a state where it's illegal and you do 90% of your driving. How about a cordless, which you can take down and hide (plausable deniability) in case they have DD. That's what I do.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

  10. #9
    Registered User D0WNxSH1FT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Westchester Cnty, NY
    Posts
    6,545
    Quote Originally Posted by dsel
    I would be hesitant to install a radar detector in a state where it's illegal and you do 90% of your driving. How about a cordless, which you can take down and hide (plausable deniability) in case they have DD. That's what I do.
    Cordless Detectors arent as good b/c in order to save battery life they run in a hybernating mode most of the time. Personally, I want it on all the time.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

  11. #10
    Registered User dsel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chocolate City
    Posts
    3,769
    Mine senses when the car is moving. It's never shut off on me once I've turned it on and have been driving. It's only hibernated when I've eaten and taken a crap at a rest stop. I have the escort solo, or whatever it's called.
    Dead is Hard. Life is Much Easier. Be Adequite.
    -Lindsay Lohan

  12. #11
    Banned C89ZX7R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond Virginia
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem
    Nearly positive that the VA cops have detectors. The only detector out at the moment that can beat any radar detector detector(DD) is the (funnily enough) the Beltronics STI Driver ( http://www.radarbusters.com/products...sti_driver.asp ), but its expensive. Just be forwarned that just about anything else is detectable with the right equipment. Most don't have them since its not worth the cost to detect detectors unless they are illegal, but you might reconsider your purchase. No idea how many DD's VA actually has, but you have a good chance of getting busted even without getting pulled over. You'll get a decent sized fine and they confiscate your detector too. So just think about it if you live in VA or DC.

    On another note, that thing looks cool, and I like the whole gauge pod mounted idea. It would fit in well with other guages and such and be in a good place that won't move around or anything. I've heard mixed review on Whistler stuff, but its probably comparable to all the other ones in its price range. Hate to say it, but if I was gonna get a detector I would probably go all out and get the V1 or similar. The V1 is upgradeable and when they come up with new technology you just send it in and they add it on. It also has multi directional detection so you can see which direction its coming from.

    JH

    well they have a hard time detecting radars since all the xm/sirus gps equip sets off the cops detectors . and having it in the gauge pod would most likely make them think its just xm radio setting it off .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •