Where to buy carbon fiber?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Where to buy carbon fiber? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi all! im looking for a piece of CF to use as the mounting plate for my custom gauge project. ...

Where to buy carbon fiber?

hi all!

im looking for a piece of CF to use as the mounting plate for my custom gauge project.

im using a OEM subaru guage pod(the clock delete one). it doesnt come with anyway to ount the gauges jsut a square hole. id like to cut CF to fit the hole and 3 55mm gauges. does anyone know where i could the the materials to do this or even better a place that could do it for me for a good price???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mcmaster carr sells finished carbon fiber sheets. A 12" square piece will run you $30-$50.

thanks! what an awsome website! http://www.mcmaster.com/

12x12 x1/32 for 33 bucks....is this thick enough for my use???

does anyone know they best way to cut CF for a clean look?
    Last edited by SoxWrx; 08-15-2006 at 10:03 AM.

Use carbide or diamond tools. If you don't have those, use a dremel cutoff wheel (the black fiber ones, not the cheap red sand like ones that shatter). We made the RIT F1 racer body out of carbon fiber and actually used scissors to trim the edges, but we were starting with cloth and putting the resin on ourselves so the fringes were easy to cut. We then use a dremel and a steady hand to get the edges close, and then sanded...a lot.

Your best best is to find a way to mount the CF so that the edges are hidden behind something so you can't see them.

thin sheets of cured cloth should be treated like brittle plastic. if you are too rough with it its gonna chip or pull apart, just test your cutting tool on the scrap side first to see if it works with CF.

luke
    I just don't get this drifting thing, why would I spend money to put a car in the wall for a bunch of stupid 16 year olds with dreams of fast and Furious?

Grip or Die!

Blobeye Syndicate #17

Thanks guys!

i do have the black cut-off wheels for the dremel. i am more concerned about cutting the holes for the gauges.......im assuming a carbide drill bit will work? im not sure if ill have access to them. i need to cut three holes for 52mm gauges in a small rectangular peice that is going to fit into the factory clock delete betzel

your kinda missing the point, carbon fiber is not hard and it is really weak in shear. a hole saw will do the job if you go slow and dont push. you dont need carbide tools, they just need to be really sharp to reduce the fray. I have found dremels and CF to be a bad mix because of the fray and it is so hard to hold it steady on the slick surface.

sharp wood working tools and patience will give the best results, I always cut anything i could with a big arm paper cutter because it chopped so clean.

buy some extra and play with it first, you will see it is really easy to work with, like hard wood with no grains or flaws.

and i want pictures

luke
    I just don't get this drifting thing, why would I spend money to put a car in the wall for a bunch of stupid 16 year olds with dreams of fast and Furious?

Grip or Die!

Blobeye Syndicate #17

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.