Question on Subwoofers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Question on Subwoofers within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Has anyone been able to wire in an aftermaket sub and amp to the stock radio? I like the 6-disc ...

Question on Subwoofers

Has anyone been able to wire in an aftermaket sub and amp to the stock radio? I like the 6-disc changer, but I want a little more THUMP. Anyone have a stereo wiring skematic for the 05? I thought about splicing into the rear speakers but I don't know the color code for the wiring harness under the dash.
    I thought about getting the stock sub, but I already have everything to put a sub and amp in, besides, that little sub doesn't look like it puts out alot.
    Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have a 12" and amp wired to the stock HU and it worked out fine. Definitely don't buy the OEM sub. It's crap; you probably won't even notice a difference.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

TOOFAST88,
    How did you wire it up? I'm planning on puting in a 10".

you just need to get a line level adapter. you wire it to your rear speakers behind the deck. run a 12volt switches source and your power wires for your amp and your rca's plug into the line level adapter . and your done.
    if you want I can help you install it when your ready. I do it all day everyday. or if you want pm me and I'll shoot you the wire colors and what not

hmmm this has me thinking how many would be interested in a pirate discount at a car audio shop? discount on parts and labor?
    I would need it to be at my location and I would do the work.(fellow subie guy)
    let me know what you all think

actually you can use the high input by just wiring it up to the amps wires , little less bass from the high input .

IF the amp has speaker inputs. not all have that.

My amp has both line-in and RCA jacks, but I also have a converter from line to RCA. The amp is a 2 channel with a "mono" switch to make it a 1 channel. It also has a built in low pass fileter, but I also have some crossovers too. I would have to play with the combinations to see what creates the best sound. But I want to build a new box to fit in the back of my wagon. How did you guys wire in the amp switch? I normally grab power right off the battery for the amp and then patch into the HU's "power antena" for the amp switch, but these cars don't have a power antena.

2 options.
    1 use a switched ignition source.

2 use a toggle switch.

or you could try to find one of the pieces that monitor spkr levels and send a signal to a relay. but those suck if you listen to your radio low. sometimes they dont turn on.

Yeah, I guess....

Hey why don't they have an area of actual specifications, manuals, etc. some where on this site? You know, the encyclopedia of subies, an area with pdf's of scanned in manuals, diagrams, all that good stuff? Then we wouldn't have to deal with this

Soooo many questions would be eliminated and we can gab more about the finished project!

Quote Originally Posted by vypr2002
    you just need to get a line level adapter. you wire it to your rear speakers behind the deck. run a 12volt switches source and your power wires for your amp and your rca's plug into the line level adapter . and your done.
    if you want I can help you install it when your ready. I do it all day everyday. or if you want pm me and I'll shoot you the wire colors and what not

hmmm this has me thinking how many would be interested in a pirate discount at a car audio shop? discount on parts and labor?
    I would need it to be at my location and I would do the work.(fellow subie guy)
    let me know what you all think

Question for ya, where does one aquire one of these line level adapter. I think that's just converting spearker output -> RCA correct? And just hook it up to the back of the HU where the rear speakers output is? I didn't see anything on the Radio Shack site

And what's the best way to hook up the rem to a toggle switch?
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

Question for ya, where does one aquire one of these line level adapter. I think that's just converting spearker output -> RCA correct? And just hook it up to the back of the HU where the rear speakers output is? I didn't see anything on the Radio Shack site

And what's the best way to hook up the rem to a toggle switch?
    Yes, it converts it from speaker output to RCA. You can usually find them in any stereo shop or Best Buy.

Since we don't have a power antena, the toggle is looking like the way to go, of course, you could put it to a switched source so the amp is on whenever the car is.

why not just wire it to the factory sub plug under the passenger side seat ? well not the power wire .

Does anyone have any pics of the back of the stock radio ?
    and just to make sure... there are no rca jacks on the back of the stock radio ?
    also
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Does anyone have any pics of the back of the stock radio ?
    and just to make sure... there are no rca jacks on the back of the stock radio ?
    also for the
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Banned
    get a high low spliter to run the amp it easy it install

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast