Stereo Speakers -- 6x9??

This is a discussion on Stereo Speakers -- 6x9?? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had MB Quart speakers installed in the front (6") and rear doors (4") with a 10" sub in the ...

*Anybody* Got 6x9 Speakers? How'd You Do It??

I had MB Quart speakers installed in the front (6") and rear doors (4") with a 10" sub in the trunk, 5 channel amp, Alpine deck, etc.

I have an extra set of Boston Acoustic 6x9's that I'd love to be able to use in this car to get some stronger mid's. Any idea where to put them or how to do it?

I called a stereo install place and they said that they'd have to put them in the rear deck and cut through a metal plate. Cutting metal doesn't sound good. Any viable suggestions would be great appreciated. Thanks.

Darin
    Last edited by DTsRex; 12-16-2002 at 08:34 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The problem with the 6x9's and most aftermarket stuff is that the mounting size/depth is too big for the doors. Which is why you proabably had to make some spacers when you did your other speakers. Cutting the back dash may not be so bad, look at it from inside the trunk, there may be a hole there already the audio place would just have to expand. Hope that helps.
    --Damon

'04 Black 1.8t GTI
    (O8o)===W===(o8O)

The installation place I went to said they would have to cut the metal plate in the back if they installed 6x9's, and suggested it wasn't a good idea to do that, which I agree.

They said I'm out of luck. Too bad since I've got an awesome pair of Boston Acoustic 6x9's just sitting in my garage.

I'm sure something could be done, but it'd have to be a very custom job.

If anyone else has any suggestions, let me know. Thanks.

Darin

Shameless Bump

A friend of mine does speaker installation at a local Circuit City and he said the 6x9 in the rear would not be a good thing to do and difficult.. So he just put 3 way MTX 6.5 in in all 4 doors. The factory tweet still works also. I had to cut in the rear doors a bit since factory are 5-5.5in. You can't see the cutting and it sounds good. Although I do prefer 6x9s in the rear since they would be at ear level. Oh well.
    http://images.cardomain.com/installs.../159812_19.jpg02 Plat Sil WRX Sdn,5 spd 13.38@101mph at 4400ft.
    17" Velox VX6r's w/Falken ZE512 and stockers, IHI VF30,TXS Uppipe,3in Custom dpipe & xaust w/HKS Muffler,Injen CAI. TXS 2 Stage BC, HKS Fuel Cut Def,CF Hood, Frnt strut bar.

The WRX is an amazing car, but it really stinks in terms of sound system flexbility.

I went to Competition Sound in Southern California, who does incredible top of the line installations and they basically shook their head and said nothing can be done short of creating new door mouldings, etc., which would probably cost some serious money.

That is why I had to cut into the rear door to make the 6.5 in fit. The weird thing is that when I change the amp sensitivity going to my sub, sitting in the rear, I can hear the speakers louder. The main problem I had in the front is that the window seems to hit the speaker, but only on the driver side
    http://images.cardomain.com/installs.../159812_19.jpg02 Plat Sil WRX Sdn,5 spd 13.38@101mph at 4400ft.
    17" Velox VX6r's w/Falken ZE512 and stockers, IHI VF30,TXS Uppipe,3in Custom dpipe & xaust w/HKS Muffler,Injen CAI. TXS 2 Stage BC, HKS Fuel Cut Def,CF Hood, Frnt strut bar.

i need help

where the hell is the subwoofer/amp that comes with the factory upgrade? i turn it up and it sounds great and all...but is it internal or external...man, am i stupid! thanks in advance
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

Wrxlude,

Its under your butt....<GGG>

Drivers seat.

Shotgun

Originally posted by ShotgunTC88
    Wrxlude,

Its under your butt....<GGG>

Drivers seat.

Shotgun
    It's under the passenger seat.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Thanks, Bdoug and Shotgun. I went out and felt under the seat...sure enough. FNA do i feel stupid. I have another question (hope you guys don't mind)
    when i turn on my lights, there is a clicking sound coming from the dashboard on the passenger side. Is this 'normal'?
    thanks! -Michael
    LET'S GO COLTS!!!
    I have 5 infraction points. What do you have?

Originally posted by wrxlude
    Thanks, Bdoug and Shotgun. I went out and felt under the seat...sure enough. FNA do i feel stupid. I have another question (hope you guys don't mind)
    when i turn on my lights, there is a clicking sound coming from the dashboard on the passenger side. Is this 'normal'?
    thanks! -Michael
    That sound is from the headlight relay, it's normal.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.