[Sound system] Anything close in quality to Bose?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on [Sound system] Anything close in quality to Bose? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My friend showed me his car (2005 Nissan Altima) and showed off his sound system. He's got the "stock" 8.1 ...

[Sound system] Anything close in quality to Bose?

My friend showed me his car (2005 Nissan Altima) and showed off his sound system. He's got the "stock" 8.1 Bose system with an aftermarket Sony DVD player. He played a music DVD and I fell in love. The sound was so vibrant, rich, and it was just hypnotic/ecstatic to sit there and listen to the tracks he played.

The sound system in a WRX (2005 wagon here) comes nowhere close to it. I almost never listen to anything in my car because the system simply sucks.

Is there any aftermarket system that can match the Bose?
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the Altima needs a killer stereo because the motor sounds like ass. if you're listening to your stereo instead of your WRX motor, you're doing it wrong.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg

the Altima needs a killer stereo because the motor sounds like ass. if you're listening to your stereo instead of your WRX motor, you're doing it wrong.
    Hey mister Fort Mustang driver, we don't tollerate your kind around here!!! J/K....

All I do all the time is listen to the rumble. But once in a while it'd be nice to listen to some good music. But with the current setup it's only okay to listen to low quality mp3 and radio news.

Heck, even my stock system + aftermarket 12" sub in my old car (VW New Beetle) sounded tons better and louder.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

wagonguy-theres all kinds of aftermarket companies that make great sounding speakers. In fact, I wouldn't think that you would have to spend too much money to find something equivalent to that stock Bose system because honestly, they're not that great. "No highs, no lows, must be Bose"

Bose is notorious for NOT reproducing sound faithfully. Bose systems tend to re-equalize, and enhance the sound. It sounds cool to the untrained ear, but I, for one, can't stand Bose systems. They just sound "wrong" to me.

that whole notion of "little speaker, big sound" just doesn't make sense. after all a 100 watt speaker that's 1" across moves less air than a 100 watt speaker that's 5" across. Sure they both have the same power rating, but they're just not the same. to get good sound, you HAVE to move a lot of air. its the difference between making power with voltage (cheap and small speakers and light ampifiers) versus amperage (very expensive, large speakers and heavy amplifiers)

Bose tries to get around this problem by modifying the sound in the ranges where the brain seems to respond the most, and by delaying and phasing certain frequencies to make the sound seem "fuller". its a trick...like an auditory illusion.
    Last edited by blarg; 07-20-2006 at 01:47 AM.
    go f*** yourself

the oem bose system is GARBAGE compared to a good aftermarket system....

do some research or give a dollar amount and someone could build you a system

"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout" chanwahyaoh's Avatar
    Turtles are nature's suction cups.
    .____
    ||J || R.I.P.
    ||__||
    |/__\|

So what you are all saying is that if I go to let's say Crutchfield and get myself a set of higher end speakers, good head unit, and some beefy amp + moderate sub (I hate overpowering bass) I could achieve what I heard the other day?

I'm by no means an audiophile and I probably do have an untrained ear but even though that Bose sounded unlike anything I've heard in a car. And it didn't have 1" speakers like those small entertainment room systems have. It had a regular size (between 4-6") speakers that moved some air around.

I'm suprised you're all bashing Bose so much. Why is it that let's say Mercedes Benz has their cars equipped with Bose and not some "aftermarket" company if they sound better? Could the MB engineers be in such a denial?
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy
    So what you are all saying is that if I go to let's say Crutchfield and get myself a set of higher end speakers, good head unit, and some beefy amp + moderate sub (I hate overpowering bass) I could achieve what I heard the other day?

I'm by no means an audiophile and I probably do have an untrained ear but even though that Bose sounded unlike anything I've heard in a car. And it didn't have 1" speakers like those small entertainment room systems have. It had a regular size (between 4-6") speakers that moved some air around.

I'm suprised you're all bashing Bose so much. Why is it that let's say Mercedes Benz has their cars equipped with Bose and not some "aftermarket" company if they sound better? Could the MB engineers be in such a denial?
    crutchfield is super expensive. goto http://www.sounddomain.com and check out the store. they do price matching too
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

With Bose you're paying for the name, you can get other brands that make as good, if not better speakers. The big thing with your friends car is the engineering that went into the sound system. Those 8 speakers were placed in particular places, and are powered by the HU a particular way to make them sound good in the different seating positions around the car. That is the part that's hard to reproduce.

It's not that Bose is bad. Bose makes good speakers, it's just that Bose has become a major brand name that the general public associates with the ultimate in sound quality, whether it's true or not. So if the general public will pay extra money for what they think is best, of course car companies are gonna put that brand in their car. The thing is that other companies make speakers that are as good, if not better, for the same price or less than the Bose alternative.
    Last edited by jaqattack02; 07-20-2006 at 10:38 AM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

I've got a complete Rockford Fosgate system in my car. Door speakers, 300W Punch AMP, 12" Punch sub-woofer. The bass is not over bearing, but definitely can be felt, and it's very crisp/clean sounding....I have a hard time telling the difference between that system and some of the super expensive systems (such as Bose).

Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy
    because to the unsuspecting ear of a potential buyer who will spend an average of 15 minutes in the car before buying it, it sounds very good and sells cars.

Bose creates an illusion of sound that is better than it really is. Some people LIKE it, but the sound is not "clean". Its like saying would you rather look at an original work of art, or would you rather run it through a computer and have it enhance the color beyond what it originally was to make the colors "pop"? Would you rather watch an old B+W movie in B+W or would you rather see it colorized?

Bose adds qualities to the sound that the original doesn't have to make the speakers sound better. This has certain limitations, and sometimes its glaringly obvious. If you have a chance, go listen to a set of Yamaha speakers through a good Yamaha amp, and then listen to a Bose (even a home system...doesn't have to be a car system).

Yamaha is known for "faithful" reproduction. If you can't hear the difference, then never mind
    go f*** yourself

yay blarg nice double post!
    06 OBP WRX
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    because to the unsuspecting ear of a potential buyer who will spend an average of 15 minutes in the car before buying it, it sounds very good and sells cars.

Bose creates an illusion of sound that is better than it really is. Some people LIKE it, but the sound is not "clean". Its like saying would you rather look at an original work of art, or would you rather run it through a computer and have it enhance the color beyond what it originally was to make the colors "pop"? Would you rather watch an old B+W movie in B+W or would you rather see it colorized?

Bose adds qualities to the sound that the original doesn't have to make the speakers sound better. This has certain limitations, and sometimes its glaringly obvious. If you have a chance, go listen to a set of Yamaha speakers through a good Yamaha amp, and then listen to a Bose (even a home system...doesn't have to be a car system).

Yamaha is known for "faithful" reproduction. If you can't hear the difference, then never mind
    I gotcha! One of my friends prefers the "faithful" sound reproduction as well so he is all into listening to vinyls on a lamp based amp. No sarcasm here. Sound corrected by a microprocessor will never be the same and I see where your point is coming from.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by REXtard04
    I've got a complete Rockford Fosgate system in my car. Door speakers, 300W Punch AMP, 12" Punch sub-woofer. The bass is not over bearing, but definitely can be felt, and it's very crisp/clean sounding....I have a hard time telling the difference between that system and some of the super expensive systems (such as Bose).
    Do you have a component based system or did you use the 2/3 way speakers?
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast