[Sound system] Anything close in quality to Bose? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on [Sound system] Anything close in quality to Bose? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by geefunk this is my opinion, alot of people probably wont agree. I love fosgate amps, they are ...

Quote Originally Posted by geefunk
    this is my opinion, alot of people probably wont agree.

I love fosgate amps, they are awesome. But thats all I like from them.

Decks and subs and speakers, I go pioneer all the way. I have listened to about 20 different decks, and pioneer blows them all away. Recently in my wifes car, she had a fosgate deck. Well, the trunk got wet so we had to do some revamping. We decided to update the deck as well. We got it all back together and the trunk fixed. We put in the new pioneer deck and I swear to god it almost doubled the bass, and its so crisp and clean now. Before with the fosgate it was all muffled. I have had pioneer decks and subs in my car since I got my first one 10 years ago.

fosgate sucks compared to what it was 6-10 years ago.....

pioneer is mediocre for sound quality, i've owned almost every level of deck pioneer has to offer from their low line decks to the pioneer avic n2 touch screen dvd/navigaton system and i am EXTREMELY dissatisfied with their product....

bells and whistles dont mean a good deck
    look at mcintosh.... some of the best and most expensive car decks in existance.... and they have absolutely NO features.... they still have an analog dial for christ sakes lol
    Last edited by $lick Rick; 07-20-2006 at 05:20 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by $lick Rick
    fosgate sucks compared to what it was 6-10 years ago.....

pioneer is mediocre for sound quality, i've owned almost every level of deck pioneer has to offer from their low line decks to the pioneer avic n2 touch screen dvd/navigaton system and i am EXTREMELY dissatisfied with their product....

bells and whistles dont mean a good deck
    look at mcintosh.... some of the best and most expensive car decks in existance.... and they have absolutely NO features.... they still have an analog dial for christ sakes lol
    Yes. The old punch amps and subs were amazing back in the day. These days the product is so...best buy...

Pioneer makes some good stuff in their upper premier line but lately I've had a hard time finding a head unit that doesn't suck. I guess I'm still used to the old Eclipse , Sony ES and Alpine (when it didn't suck). Rockford has no business making head units other than name appeal.

As for Mcintosh..hehe Nuff' said.

Quote Originally Posted by rexSTi
    wagonguy-theres all kinds of aftermarket companies that make great sounding speakers. In fact, I wouldn't think that you would have to spend too much money to find something equivalent to that stock Bose system because honestly, they're not that great. "No highs, no lows, must be Bose"

AMEN Brother!!!!

I'm not a fan of Bose either
    Scotty P

I Support ClubWRX
    The problem with the stock WRX albeit Tr, limited, or normal is the factory head unit. I know the stock TR single din Stereo is 80 watts max power. This means that at worst case RMS power is around 8 watts per speaker. You can't make a cell phone sound good with that, let alone a car.

Granted the sedan and limited have 180 watt "premium" head units but again worst case (lower battery voltage, A/C on high, high Load condions) RMS power is still around 15 watts per speaker. (for those who don't know you get 6 speakers in the sedan and wagon over 4 in the TR)

Still not impreesive by any means. Not to mention time alignment, digital processing, and equalization settings are inadequate if not nonexistant.

After installing and designing more than my share of SQ and DB comp systems, I have learned that louder is not necessarily better. (I now have permanent hearing loss ) My profession has also taught me that introducing a system into a car that has a potential of a sustained 140amp current draw, is no where near kosher either.

General rule: If you drive down the road and your headlights dim to the music, something is wrong, especially with 3 Farad capcitors and performance is definately suffering.

So on this car I decided that I would go minimalist. Not install any amps, capacitors, subs (execpt low current draw high efficency units such as the infinity or stock setup) unless absolutely needed.

Instead I stuck my money in the head unit. I bought a JVC Sdh1000 head unit. It has digital BBE processing, self and fully adjustable time alignment and imaging, 20 watts RMS per speaker 50 watts peak, I-pod interface, Aux in, USB and SD slots and limitless EQ adjustability.

With the stock paper TR speakers I have achieved a sound equivalent if not better than the BOSE unit in my MOMs Cadillac CTS and far better than the Audi premium sound in a 2002 A4. All for a whopping price tag of $326 (shipped to my door from cardomain.com). So much so that this will be the first car I have owned that will not receive a full audio replacement/transformation as I am now satisfied.

Moral of the story, without a good head unit the best speakers in the world will sound like crap. Before you rip everything out and replace, buy a good quality HU, not off the shelf at Walmart and try it first. You might be surprised with your results.

If you want a really nice sounding system go for Focal. They are pretty high end, but have won tons of sound quality competitions. I got a Focal Utopia system and it sounds so amazing I love driving in my car. If you get these, it'll make the bose sound like ****. Here's the link to their site: http://www.focal-america.com/

Cool Stock Sound System Not So Great

Hi Guys..

I have a stock 2005 STI with the standard system (6 Cd changer and the Am/Fm combo and I swear the stock chrysler radio (Am/Fm Cd) in my Jeep wrangler delivers better sound. Is this the best Suby can do??? I love the car but jeez for this price you outta have some decent tunes.....

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, it's not news that the stock system in any WRX or STi isn't anything special. I did a major overhaul of the system in my sedan, and my wagon already has an aftermarket HU and fronts.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123