Exhaust Temp. Sensor Install - Help!

This is a discussion on Exhaust Temp. Sensor Install - Help! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I bought a Defi-Link exhaust temp. meter thinking I could easily install and wire it myself, but I'm a ...

Question Exhaust Temp. Sensor Install - Help!

So I bought a Defi-Link exhaust temp. meter thinking I could easily install and wire it myself, but I'm a bit stuck with the sensor install. The manual doesn't give too great instructions on installing the sensor itself, other than recommending not to let "debris enter the manifold if you make a hole yourself." Now I don't know much about manifolds, but are we really supposed to be making holes in it? I thought there might be a spot already somewhere on the mani where the sensor can be installed... perhaps a plug or bolted hole used by the service shop... (-_-;;)

Would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this... (-人-)
    Greetings from Japan!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Unfortunately you do have to drill and tap using a 1/8" NPT Tap to install the sensor. The most common and recommended spot is on your driver's side exhaust manifold near cylinder number 3. There is actually a raised area or “button” located on your manifold that many people use as a spot to install the sensor.

As for the debris, it is recommended that you remove the manifold before you drill and tap. If you leave it on the car while drilling, metal shavings may be blown through the turbo and you run the risk of damaging it.

Check here for instructions: http://homepage.mac.com/jsalicru/GaugesHowTo.html
    04' STi (Silver/Silver)
    My Car

Thanks for the info, and the great link.
    I think I'm too chicken to make the hole myself... (T_T)
    Greetings from Japan!