Dumb Noob Question

This is a discussion on Dumb Noob Question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok i've dug around and i know from what everyone is saying that an EGT Gauge is a VERY important ...

Question Dumb Noob Question

ok i've dug around and i know from what everyone is saying that an EGT Gauge is a VERY important thing to have... the only thing i dont know is why....can anyone explain this to me??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Arrow Bump

Bump for a good question.... well at least to me anyways
    02 debaged bugeye with a Magnaflow Axleback, Perrin Dp, Samco IC pipes, APS Inlet, Perrin Fuel Rails, Tien H-Techs, Cobb Sway Kit, Whiteline Endlinks (Front & Back), Omori Boost Gauge, & Stg 2.....It's a good start

Basically, an EGT guage measures the Exhaust Gas Temperature. With the probe mounted in the exhaust port, or after the turbo charger, the EGT is displayed. While making full throttle passes, you can reference the EGT reading. From there, you can start tuning for richer or leaner conditions. Higher EGT's = Lean condition, lower EGT's = Rich condition.

Back in 1993 when I first tried this, I mounted the EGT probe to far in the downpipe. I had to compensate for this when reading EGT's. They were slightly lower.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

the only useful place for an EGT gauge is on the manifold next to the hottest cylinder (#3 or #4).

unless you're planning to do your own tuning, its not essential. They used to be necessary on the "old days" when people used MBC's. MBC's cause PTFB, which can cause EGT spikes and cooked motors, but with good EM you don't need to worry about it. The tuner makes sure you don't get high EGT's.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself