How to not get jacked! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to not get jacked! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am looking at the Powerlock system. I don't know if it is a good system or not If anyone ...

Powerlock System

I am looking at the Powerlock system. I don't know if it is a good system or not If anyone knows more about it let me know. I guess I can get it installed with my factory alarm system. I kills the starter and from what they say you can't hotwire the car. I know that if they want your car they will take it but I want to make it as hard a possible so they want to go for a different car. The link to the Powerlock web site is http://www.powerlock.com/consumerfront.asp . Please let me know if I should go with this system. Thanks all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Powerlock System

Originally posted by spectra
    I am looking at the Powerlock system...
    I dunno, never heard of it before but for $370 including install, it had better work, especially since you already have a factory alarm system in place. I plan on paying $10 and having a manual fuel cut-off switch installed. I also ordered the AutoLock at http://www.autolock.com/. It comes with a $5000 guarantee which will go a long way with insurance if my car gets jacked
    Last edited by Ibizan; 05-21-2003 at 01:23 AM.
    I saw a woman wearing a sweat shirt with "Guess" on it. So I said "Implants?"

i've unlocked "the club" with a paper clip once.
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

Originally posted by Nexus6
    i've unlocked "the club" with a paper clip once.
    I've read several auto security articles about how the club is easily defeatable. On the other hand, the pedal lock receives consistently high reliability ratings.

I agree...the Autolock is much more secure then the Club. I have used both and I prefer the Autolock on my cars.

But recently on Honda-tech...a guy in Vegas got jacked with the Autolock. He said that the tow yard guys said that the pedals are just being cut

Once I heard that....I will keep the Autolock & Club BUT also add a Kill Switch

Crazy world we live in...can't we all just keep out cars...

Unfortunately, the Unbrakeable Autolock can be broken.

http://www.clubbuster.com/clubbuster.htm

I still have one because it offers some additional protection.
    2002 WRX WRB

Originally posted by jarelee
    I will keep the Autolock & Club BUT also add a Kill Switch
    That's what I plan doing as well. Will also add hood locks and tinting (which serves a dual purpose). Bottom line is that any security measure is defeatable if they want your car bad enough. I'm adding these things to make them work for it.

My top 3 security systems are:
    1. Insurance
    2. Insurance
    3. Insurance

Yeah. But how many thieves have web access?

Originally posted by Rich10
    Unfortunately, the Unbrakeable Autolock can be broken.

http://www.clubbuster.com/clubbuster.htm

I still have one because it offers some additional protection.
    I checked out that site. Well, at least it weighs 8lbs and is made of cast iron. I don't know how many thieves will lug it around with them. Also, the following text is from that site, which states that they sell to professionals only, and license, badge, is necessary to order it...
    "Call Us: 415-626-1200
    Fax/mail: Printable order form
    On-line*: sales@lockworld.net *For on-line orders, please include:
    name
    business name
    shipping address
    telephone number
    license, business ID or badge # [required]
    # of units to be purchased
    credit card # & expiration date
    $90.00, CA state sales tax (when applicable) and $6.50 s&h per unit will be applied.
    Product Distributers: For Pricing on Orders 2 or more, please email or call (415) 626-1200 for more information

For more information, call (415) 626-1200 or email us at: info@lockworld.net
    Patent Pending. Sold to professionals only.
    "

yeah and guns and drugs are for sale for licensed doctors and licensed gun carriers to and you still see kids barely old enough to tie there damn shoes selling and carrying them around. Be real every body got a price plus look at is look like something I could put together petty quick at a hardware store.

FF
    Last edited by Flat_four; 05-22-2003 at 02:50 PM.
    04 WRB/GOLD WRX STI
    Blitz SUS intake
    Blitz DD BOV
    Blitz NUR Spec R Cat-back
    Blitz SBC ID @ 17.0 PSI
    Buschur Racing Down pipe
    Exedy Clutch

Re: Yeah. But how many thieves have web access?

Originally posted by robertln
    I checked out that site. Well, at least it weighs 8lbs and is made of cast iron. I don't know how many thieves will lug it around with them. Also, the following text is from that site, which states that they sell to professionals only, and license, badge, is necessary to order it...
    "Call Us: 415-626-1200
    Fax/mail: Printable order form
    On-line*: sales@lockworld.net *For on-line orders, please include:
    name
    business name
    shipping address
    telephone number
    license, business ID or badge # [required]
    # of units to be purchased
    credit card # & expiration date
    $90.00, CA state sales tax (when applicable) and $6.50 s&h per unit will be applied.
    Product Distributers: For Pricing on Orders 2 or more, please email or call (415) 626-1200 for more information

For more information, call (415) 626-1200 or email us at: info@lockworld.net
    Patent Pending. Sold to professionals only.
    "
    As I said, I still use the Unbrakeable Autolock. It is harder to remove than a Club and it offers some additional protection. I just wanted to make sure that people weren't under the delusion (which the Autolock informercial helps to create) that the Autolock is something that a dedicated thief can't defeat.
    2002 WRX WRB

There'll always be a way to get around security, whether it be the club or whatever. That's why security is always evolving. It's a constant game, security experts create a system and thieves are out to find out how to get around it. A thief will take your car if he wants it badly enough. However, a thief also doesn't want to spent too much time trying to get through all your security so if they see something else, that they can get into more easily, they will do that instead. A big factor on being able to jack a car successfully is time. The less time you spend breaking through security, the less chances there are of you being seen by somebody that might report you. That is the benefit of having all the security extras on your car. It's not necessarily that they won't be able to steal it but the fact that if they tried, they'd have to work harder and take longer to get in and out.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."
    Albert Einstein

Mods: Kartboy shifter,Mobil 1 syn. AEM Short RAM, AEM Underdrive Pulley, Scorpion Axle-back exhaust.

Re: Re: Yeah. But how many thieves have web access?

Originally posted by Rich10
    I just wanted to make sure that people weren't under the delusion (which the Autolock informercial helps to create) that the Autolock is something that a dedicated thief can't defeat.
    God I hope not. It's a deterrent, one with higher reliability ratings and tolerences than a steering wheel club. And for the price it's a good deal. I also admire the $5000 guarantee so I wonder if anyone has ever filed a claim for it

I remember a special on TV one night maybe somebody remembers seeing it as well. Anyway to the point. I remember somebody taking a can on freon or similar and spaying the club with it took a few second they hitting it with something hard hammer wretch what ever and the club would crack like it was nothing I wondering if it would work on the autolock as well

FF
    04 WRB/GOLD WRX STI
    Blitz SUS intake
    Blitz DD BOV
    Blitz NUR Spec R Cat-back
    Blitz SBC ID @ 17.0 PSI
    Buschur Racing Down pipe
    Exedy Clutch

...cracking the club with freon

Being able to crack it by freezing it depens on the type of metal it is contructed of...
    If it is hardened steel it can be easily "frozen" and cracked.
    Most locks are made of hardened steel to prevent a saw blade from cutting through, or to dull the blade enough to render it useless.
    Soft steel is harder (impossible) to freeze with freon and crack, but is easier to cut through.
    What some companies do is make a chain of hard steel, and use softer steel on the lock itself. (or the other way around).

Originally posted by Flat_four
    yeah and gun and drug are for sale for licensed doctors and licensed gun carriers to and you still see kids barely old enough to tie there damn shoes selling and carrying them around. be real every body got a price plus look at is look like something I could put together petty quick at a hardware store.

FF
    Not to get "picky", because i don't think you were trying to be very literal with the "...and you still see kids barely old enough..." statement, but no, I don't see kids carrying guns around. Does it happen? Yes. But my point was that you are not going to have every punk car thief walking around with an 8lb. club cracker. Look at the picture, that thing is huge, especially the one in the Autolock picture. I think most thieves carry a screwdriver and maybe a slim jim. Anyway, i'm not really "disagreeing" with you, but i guess the "be real" statement got to me a tad.
    Peace.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast