How to not get jacked! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to not get jacked! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Quick someone post the pictures of the two glocks. Oh never mind I will..... It is kinda of funny I ...

Quick someone post the pictures of the two glocks. Oh never mind I will.....
    It is kinda of funny I am deafly afraid of leaving my car out all of a sudden and I have never had a garage until just 3 months ago. Last nite I moved my wifes car out of the garage and mine in at 10 pm after I had already laid down to go to sleep. It isn't like I have anything to worry about the apartment complex is gated and my rex is probably the cheapest car in the complex my neighbor just got an H2 and there are Porches and Audi that are parked out all nite (go figure) while I tuck my subie away tighly in the garage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails glocks.gif  
    --Tony

2002.5 Mazda Protege5
    1997 Mazda Miata STO Edition #774-1500 (Sold)
    2003 WRX Silver Sedan
    -STi Grill
    -STi Projectors
    -Aust Spec 17' wheels

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dont forget a battery back up siren and a back up battery to power the alarm. Most high end alarms have pagers built in too. Compustar will page up to 1.5 miles and do auto start on a stick!

AnOTHER iDea

A few years ago my exgirlfriend parked her Suzuki Sidekick(go ahead, laugh now) in Queens. Yes, she had The Club but didn't use it. Yes, she had a removeable faceplate but left it attached.

The thieves a.k.a "little bastards", got in and took her faceplate but could not remove the head unit. (i'll give that much to Suzuki - their dashes are a b*tch to get through). The little bastards did try but only managed to crack the plastic bezel that surrounds the stereo.

The cool thing is what I learned from this: I had installed those window "Ventshield" things on the Sidekick. The thieves cracked both of them trying to get in through the glass but they could not get passed the Ventshields. They actually had to resort to prying the removeable hard top from the Sidekick. So even though I hate the those Ventshield things look on any car, i have to admit that they probably slowed the thieves down quite a bit that night.

Man I live near Oshkosh, WI. I have a DEH-P8400MP head unit in my car which is pretty expensive. I hope that doesn't get ripped off... If I ever have my car serviced for an extended period of time, I'll take off the faceplate. I knew another guy from Wisconsin who had his car audio stuff stolen.. I don't have a WRX, though.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

For me the precautions come down to skill. Out of all the ones listed on the original post, I'd know how to do 10% of them. I'm a noob with wiring/electrical routing and my mod skills start to quiver just short of an aluminum dead pedal. If there was some sort of automotive security class offered, I'd sign up in a sec.

Next month I buy my 04 WRX. In addition to the upgraded security system (I know, it isn't much), I plan on installing hood locks, a brake pedal lock, and a manual fuel cut-off switch with the help of a friend of mine.

One thing I noticed that wasn't metioned were radar detectors. Some people here have them hardwired into their cars but to me that's just something else for the bastards to look for. If I leave the car, so does my Valentine
    I saw a woman wearing a sweat shirt with "Guess" on it. So I said "Implants?"

In regards to the brake pedal lock, is this what it is? http://shop.store.yahoo.com/direct/brakuncarsec.html

Is there a particular make/model that's considered good quality?

Originally posted by Flat_four
    this is what it was
    Oh my god! That's the Clarion VRX935VD, a $2,500 headunit!!! Damn, that really really sucks Flat_four. I would trip out if I lost that.

Originally posted by Ibizan
    In regards to the brake pedal lock, is this what it is? http://shop.store.yahoo.com/direct/brakuncarsec.html

Is there a particular make/model that's considered good quality?
    Hell NO Ibizan! ... your link is the dollar store copy of the infomercial Autolock® ...
    Autolock are the originators, Follow THIS link: http://www.autolock.com/

The site has the earlier, less expensive models, but this NEWEST one looks killer!!! It is what i will get...Hell, by the time the would-be thieves figure out what the hell it is, you'll be done watchin' Matrix Reloaded and will catch them in the act!
    I will get this one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails auto1740lg.jpeg  
    Last edited by robertln; 05-20-2003 at 09:50 PM.

Originally posted by robertln
    The site has the earlier, less expensive models, but this NEWEST one looks killer!!!
    Thanks robertln, really appreciate it. Looks like you're referring to their AutoLock X model.

Off to place an order

Now I just need to install the fuel-cutoff switch and hoodlocks. Anything more than that and I'll let insurance deal with it

Alternative to The Club

Hmmm, was just browsing the autolock.com site, and found an interesting alternative to The Club...it looks like cutting the steering wheel would not defeat this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carbar1910lg.jpeg  

or...

...or, perhaps (from same autolock.com site):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hooks1810lg.jpeg  

Re: Alternative to The Club

Hmmm, was just browsing the autolock.com site, and found an interesting alternative to The Club...it looks like cutting the steering wheel would not defeat this:
    Yeah, I saw that too, but it looks a lot like the club and I don't know much about it. I've heard great things about the pedal lock though so I'm going with that.

Are you going with the one on the www.autolock.com site?
    I think I am...I hate spending money on sh*t like that, but if I don't and my ride gets stolen, i will kick myself in the ass for the rest of my life.

Are you going with the one on the www.autolock.com site?
    Yeah, I went with the X version, which is same as their Pro but in the cool-looking nickle plate

I hear you about the cost. But you could spend thousands on security mods and still get your car jacked. That's what insurance is for. Based on the research I've done, I'm adding the pedal lock, hood locks, and a fuel-cutoff switch. This is in addition to the upgraded security system which isn't the best but combined with everything else will do the job.

Happy shopping

Originally posted by Ibizan
    Yeah, I went with the X version, which is same as their Pro but in the cool-looking nickle plate

I hear you about the cost. But you could spend thousands on security mods and still get your car jacked. That's what insurance is for. Based on the research I've done, I'm adding the pedal lock, hood locks, and a fuel-cutoff switch. This is in addition to the upgraded security system which isn't the best but combined with everything else will do the job.

Happy shopping
    Yeah, i'm sold...I'm ordering one. Especially with how hot these cars are getting. I'm not letting my car become some as*wipes' parts bin.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast