replacing deck in 06 wrx tr

This is a discussion on replacing deck in 06 wrx tr within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When replacing the deck with an aftermarket one in an 06 TR, do you need a kit to complete the ...

I Support ClubWRX

replacing deck in 06 wrx tr

When replacing the deck with an aftermarket one in an 06 TR, do you need a kit to complete the install? The lady at Best Buy was tellin me I needed one that was a pocket but the TR came with the pocket and a single DIN sized radio from factory.

Help me out thanx

Jeremy

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

this post will not help you, and i apologize for it...

i did not like the single din deck that the TR came with, and it was the major reason why i went with the double din changer. could you post a picture after? i am interested in how it looks

PS. Don't listen to anything from a lady at best buy. She probably knows nothing about car stereo installation.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I'm planning to replace the factory stereo and install an Omari boost gauge at the same time, and will post pics after install is complete.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    No..... you don't need a "kit"... the people at Best Buy are Morons. I asked them the same questions when I bought my 06 TR.

All you need is the wiring harness..... and surprise surprise, no one in town had one in stock for an 06.

Of course... here's little secret....... order a wiring harness for an 04 off ebay for about 8 bucks.... they haven't changed.

My Pioneer P8300M fit right in... even the screw holes on the sides matched up with the factory bracket.... but you WONT be able to use a trim ring.

I mounted the empty din on the bottom, relocated the clock/pass airbag ind. into the lower din, and then added an autometer triple gauge dash pod up top.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thats what i figured, thanks for the info. Do you have any pics of your install?

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me
    Do you have any pics of your install?
    +1 Lets see em..

I Support ClubWRX
    For those wondering about the install, I performed it and a few things you should know.

On the 06 TR you need no kit to install. The only thing you need is the adaptor harness available at almost any electronics store.

When installing the harness and making your connections, it is crucial that you hook up the power antenna wire from the adapter harness to the aftermarket head unit harness. My head unit did not have a power out wire but any switched 12v+ will work. I used the remote wire since I dont have any amps.

You will not use the stupid sheet metal mounting ring that comes with the after market head unit. After removal of the factory head unit, you unbolt it from the factory metal brackets and reuse those on your aftermarket HU. Getting the factory bolts off is a PITA remember to use the right size screwdriver cause its important. I like this method of install though as it makes the HU way more difficult to steal.

There is an awesome install link that shows exactly how to remove the factory setup on scoobymods. I recommend using that thread as well.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kingypoo
    +1 Lets see em..
    pics as requested.... If you notice, I relocated the factory clock/airbag indicator down to the lower din.

I posted it awhile back in this thread:

A/F meter, Oil Pressure, and boost guage.... INSTALL GUIDE