Wire Tapping for gauge install
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Wire Tapping for gauge install within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've read up on some past post that you can utilize the center clock harness.. which contains all 4 wires ...

Wire Tapping for gauge install

I've read up on some past post that you can utilize the center clock harness.. which contains all 4 wires that is needed to hook up any electronic gauge. But "how many" gauges can i run off from this source? i have total of 3 omori gauges that is sitting in the defi pod.. and if i can power all 3 from this clock harness.. that would be the most easy for me.. i jus want to make sure that i won't blow the clock fuse running so many guages on one clock harness.. please leave feedback! thanks for your time
    Nothing happens until something moves

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm not sure how much juice you could run off the clock fuse without blowing it, but why not just replace the fuse with a higher rated one?
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Find out what the clock fuse is rated at, then divide that number by 12 (volts). Then divide the result by 2 (just to be safe, electronics are tricky) and you'll have a maximum current value for your three gauges. If the current drawn by the three gauges is higher than the number you calculated, you will need to use more than one wire to power your guage cluster.

-Shadow
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

WORKS for me!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image008.jpg  

alittle confused about the clock wires.

blue/red (constant (+))

black (ground (-)) easy enough.

pink/blue (illumination) connect for (+) lighting and is on when the driving lights are turned on

yellow/green (switched (+)) is this the power that is turned on when theignition is turned on?

Installing a center gauge pod this weekend. Double checking to make sure things go as smoothly as possible.
    Last edited by Richie03; 10-09-2003 at 06:21 PM.

The clock fuse, is the radio fuse inside the egine bay, iirc its a 30amp fuse. Your not gona blow that unless you wire up a power inverter and plug a computer and a half into it
    2003 WR Blue WRX - Godspeed Up/Down pipe - Prodrive Axel Back - MBC (14.75psi in 3rd) - 220 WHP on Dynopak (93oct)

Yeah, gauges do NOT use hardly any power at all!

Got them working! What do you think?
    From left to right
    Oil pressure, EGT, Oil Temp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_0689.jpg  

lol yeah dude, 30amps is like what, 10 laptops?

BLUEdemon, what's the cool glowing blue thingmajiggy in your console?
    '03 white rex

so can anyone confirm what the wires stand for on the clock harness? Don't want to run the wrong wire with my gauges.

Originally posted by Richie03
    alittle confused about the clock wires.

blue/red (constant (+))

black (ground (-)) easy enough.

pink/blue (illumination) connect for (+) lighting and is on when the driving lights are turned on

yellow/green (switched (+)) is this the power that is turned on when theignition is turned on?

Installing a center gauge pod this weekend. Double checking to make sure things go as smoothly as possible.
    Was this correct? I need to know too...Installing some gauges soon. Thanks!
    Justin
    2003 Sonic Yellow
    NOT STOCK ANYMORE!!

12v power tap for ebc

yellow green is power. there is a diagram on the linked thread.

dR

I used the black (-) as a common ground for the gauge and gauge lighting. I used the pink/blue (+) for the power for lighting (wire is live when the parking / headlights are turned on). Finally I used the yellow/green (+) for switched power for powering the gauge (this wire is live when the ignition is turned to the on position). I did not use the blue/red (+) for any gauges, this wire is live even with out the ignition in the on position.

I hope this helps you guys out. It took alot of searching on many forums to get this info clearly stated.

Richie

edit: note the gauge lights do not dim with this set up, they are either on or off.
    Last edited by Richie03; 10-16-2003 at 08:58 AM.

would there be any way to dim them?? I noticed two gound wires on the OMORI harness, do I have to essentially use both of them??

Subaru uses a variable ground to dim rather then a variable (+). I know there is a dimmer ground in the stereo wiring harness but not sure what wire it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast