Help: NAVI sensor question

This is a discussion on Help: NAVI sensor question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I had an Eclipse 5500 put in yesterday and so far I like it. The only thing that bugs ...

Help: NAVI sensor question

So I had an Eclipse 5500 put in yesterday and so far I like it. The only thing that bugs me is that I can't program a lot of stuff (like POI and addresses) unless the handbrake is engaged. The guy that was showing me how it worked said that it should be a pretty simple fix to defeat the navi system to say the handbrake was set but that they wouldn't do it at the shop for liability reasons.

Anybody have pictures and/or directions on how to do this? I did a search with no luck. Thanks.
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    2006 White TR replacement
    1998 V5 Grey STi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User flyingpertyhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchangelF16
    So I had an Eclipse 5500 put in yesterday and so far I like it. The only thing that bugs me is that I can't program a lot of stuff (like POI and addresses) unless the handbrake is engaged. The guy that was showing me how it worked said that it should be a pretty simple fix to defeat the navi system to say the handbrake was set but that they wouldn't do it at the shop for liability reasons.

Anybody have pictures and/or directions on how to do this? I did a search with no luck. Thanks.
    i got the eclipse 5435 and i'm having the same problem. same with dvd's and video.

I had that problem in my old car with an older pioneer unit, i had my buddy who knows stuff fix it, he went to the handbrake and disconnected the wire the shop ran to it, then put it to a new switch that was grounded, dunno if that will work for eclipse, i also heard it doesn't work on newer pioneer

the point where my parking brake light comes on on the dash and the point when the NAVI stuff disengages are at different times. Does that mean there is a switch or something in there that has to touch for this to happen? If so, could I just unhook one side from the parking brake and permanently connect it to the other half of the switch?
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    1998 V5 Grey STi

bump. Where are all the audio nuts in here?
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    1998 V5 Grey STi

Registered User flyingpertyhigh's Avatar
    i do know that some newer navi systems use a speed sensor instead of a brake cable to disengage functions because of how easy it was to hack the older models. easy hacking = easy lawsuits.

As a guy with some EE experience (not audio, strictly)... it shouldn't be that hard. Grab a multi-meter and figure out what the wire to the e-brake looks like when the brake is up (probably at + something). Connect the e-brake wire from the stereo to a source that is always that voltage. Done.

Grab a EE and it'll be quick work.
    2003 White Sportswagon
    Mods: Cobb stg 2 (STX map), Whiteline strut braces, SRBs and swaybars, Kartboy rear endlinks, 04+ rear swaybar mounts, Hawk HPS brake pads meeting Powerslot front rotors, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs, some stereo
    Pending: some more stereo. Front endlinks?

just ground it with a switch
    t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???
    ooo you touched my tra la la
    Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    My buddy has an SRT-4, I watched him beat an F-16 from a roll.