PIC REQUEST: Where do you ground your amps?

This is a discussion on PIC REQUEST: Where do you ground your amps? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, been away for awhile.... but finally getting around to installing all the stereo equipment that was in my last ...

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar

PIC REQUEST: Where do you ground your amps?

Hello, been away for awhile.... but finally getting around to installing all the stereo equipment that was in my last car (2002 Acura RSX). Although the WRX is more of a performance car, and weight is the enemy.... I figure I have all the stuff, why not use it? You know?

I'm going to run power wire on the driver side, and RCAs through the passenger side... no problem, but I'd like to know if anyone has any good ideas where to ground it out. Pics are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

So far (in this order):

2006 WRX TR (purchased 25 Jan 2006)
    K&N air Filter
    Autometer clock replacement gauge pod
    Autometer C2 Boost
    Autometer C2 Oil pressure
    Autometer C2 A/F meter
    Relocated clock/airbag indicator to lower stereo din
    Pioneer P-8300M dual-face head unit
    Rockford Fosgate 6.5 aluminum coaxials (front)
    Rockford Fosgate 5.25 aluminum coaxials (rear)
    Sony 1200 watt 2-channel amp (not installed yet)
    Sony 600 watt 4-channel amp (not installed yet)
    Two MTX 6000 10-inch aluminum Subwoofers (not installed yet)
    COBB Accessport ECU (already purchased, shipping expected next week)

In the future:
    Invidia Downpipe
    3.0 inch Borla exhaust
    4.5 inch intercooler
    VF39 Turbo (which will put me at a stage 3 COBB tune--330 HP)
    H brace and Strut braces
    Eibach pro-kit springs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I allways try to ground my amps to the inside of the spare tire well. I do this because it is solid and there is no chance of hitting anything such as another power wire or a fuel line.I don't have a picture but I find that grounding blocks work best. U can through bolt the grounding block down to the wheel well and then your ground wire gets secured to the block by whatever method the block uses such as an allen key set screw.m You would also be able to use a fat self tapping screw with a large washer on it. Wherever you ground it make sure to remove any paint and expose the bare metal. Also try to keep your ground wires as short as physically possible. Hope this helps. I will try to take a pic of my ground later, my camera hasn't been working so good lately.

Hmmmm... Interesting.

I don't suppose thre is a "hole" or anything around there is there??

I guess if thats what I need to do, then that's what I'll do..... I hoping to not have to drill any permanent holes though.

Any other suggestions?

If your going to be grounding amplifiers I don't recommend using self-tapping screws. Use a nut and bolt with lock washer and use wire brush or sandpaper to get to bare metal.

Hey I came from an '02 RSX as well.

My amp is grounded to one of he screws that hold down the back seats. When you take out the back seat to run all the wiring you will see 4 bolts that are used to hold down the back part of the back seat, just pick one to use as a ground.

Oh and if you get VF39 etc like you said it would be Stage 4 (just make sure you get bigger injectors too).
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
    Hey I came from an '02 RSX as well.

My amp is grounded to one of he screws that hold down the back seats. When you take out the back seat to run all the wiring you will see 4 bolts that are used to hold down the back part of the back seat, just pick one to use as a ground.

Oh and if you get VF39 etc like you said it would be Stage 4 (just make sure you get bigger injectors too).
    THANKS!!!! thats a good idea.... I will definately take a look.

As for the VF39, its a pre-loaded map in the 06 APs. All you need is a TBE, an STI intercooler, a VF39, and a slight modification to the restrictor pill.... no pro-tuning or larger injectors required.

--this was directly from the COBB rep..... I think he's getting tired of talking to me I've called so many times.

You want to ground each piece as close to where it's mounted as you can. You don't want to ground them all together or you'll have ground loops. That will make the system noisy. Ground directly to bare metal and make a solid connection.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener
    THANKS!!!! thats a good idea.... I will definately take a look.

As for the VF39, its a pre-loaded map in the 06 APs. All you need is a TBE, an STI intercooler, a VF39, and a slight modification to the restrictor pill.... no pro-tuning or larger injectors required.

--this was directly from the COBB rep..... I think he's getting tired of talking to me I've called so many times.
    I didnt even realize they made that change for the 06. good stuff.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4