Hot air from floor vent when a/c is on?!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hot air from floor vent when a/c is on?! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I bought my '02 last August and the floor heater has always been weird. If I've got it ...

Hot air from floor vent when a/c is on?!

Hey guys,

I bought my '02 last August and the floor heater has always been weird. If I've got it on mixed (defrost / floor) the defrost will always be cooler than the floor heat which tends to be hot. If I have the a/c on normal / vent, the floor still emits a little air, but it is hot - and my feet are very uncomfortable.

Both the defrost and a/c functions are fine when I have them set to full heat or full cool. But if I want something in the middle there is absolutely no balance.

Is this normal? Does anyone else have this problem or know if I can fix it by adjusting the linkage behind my dash?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

do you have the lever switched to outside air or circulating air.......with the ac on you want it set on circulating air
    if its not that i dont know what to tell you

Doesn't matter - there's probably a problem with the linkage on that part of the vent or something.

The only thing I can guess is that if you have removed the fire wall pass through behind the brake pedal you will feel heat coming thru the hole from the engine as your driving, which could be mistaken for the vent being on. If that hole is still plugged, I have no answer for you.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

No mods - haven't removed the plug in the firewall.

I'm going to crawl up there today and see if anything is obvious. Come to think of it now - during the winter time when I have it on split defrost and floor the flloor vent is also disproportionally hot.

I suspect that whetever adjusts the flow of hot/cold air to that particular vent is way out of whack. I just have no idea where to start looking.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseMan
    Hey guys,

I bought my '02 last August and the floor heater has always been weird. If I've got it on mixed (defrost / floor) the defrost will always be cooler than the floor heat which tends to be hot. If I have the a/c on normal / vent, the floor still emits a little air, but it is hot - and my feet are very uncomfortable.

Both the defrost and a/c functions are fine when I have them set to full heat or full cool. But if I want something in the middle there is absolutely no balance.

Is this normal? Does anyone else have this problem or know if I can fix it by adjusting the linkage behind my dash?

Thanks in advance.
    When you turn the hot or cool control can you hear or feel (in the knob) the blend door moving. when on cool the blend door will close off the heater core, when on heat the blend door opens to let heat from the heater core go throught. There may be something keeping the blend door open when you have it on cool. Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by seth7685
    When you turn the hot or cool control can you hear or feel (in the knob) the blend door moving. when on cool the blend door will close off the heater core, when on heat the blend door opens to let heat from the heater core go throught. There may be something keeping the blend door open when you have it on cool. Just my 2 cents
    That sounds the most logical to me - but do you know if there is more than one blend door (something that would separate the control to the driver floor vent vs. the rest of the car)?

I crawled up there yesterday and found the linkage that controls the blend door - disconnected it and verified it is traveling the whole way. I also played with the control that opens and closes that door. It sounds like it is closing entirely but of course without tearing apart the car I can't really tell.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.