How do you run power cables to the trunk?

This is a discussion on How do you run power cables to the trunk? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im going to be installing my amps (2) in my 06 wrx trunk this weekend, and I was curious if ...

Question How do you run power cables to the trunk?

Im going to be installing my amps (2) in my 06 wrx trunk this weekend, and I was curious if anyone has any previous experience with doing it. Just looking for ideas on which way would be the best route... I was thinking of going through the center console, next to the passenger seat, under the rear seat carpet, take out the rear seats and run the cables under the seat to the trunk... Any other ideas?

Another quick question for the 06 is where would be the best location to run the power cables through the firewall? I saw a location on the left side behind the turbo that could work, but just making sure... THANKS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by {06TR}
    Im going to be installing my amps (2) in my 06 wrx trunk this weekend, and I was curious if anyone has any previous experience with doing it. Just looking for ideas on which way would be the best route... I was thinking of going through the center console, next to the passenger seat, under the rear seat carpet, take out the rear seats and run the cables under the seat to the trunk... Any other ideas?

Another quick question for the 06 is where would be the best location to run the power cables through the firewall? I saw a location on the left side behind the turbo that could work, but just making sure... THANKS!
    Personally, I think the easiest way through the car is to go along the sides near the door under the plastic foot boards. This eliminates having to get the wire under the carpet which may force you to take out a lot of things.

As for getting the cables through the firewall, I really haven't looked there yet but I would venture to say that there should be an opening on the driver's side where the power window wires go through.
    Car-less

There is plenty of room to run extra cables under the drives side door sills along with all of the factory wiring and plumbing.. Pass throughs in the firewall near the steering column and a nice big hole behind the rear seat back next to the left rear wheel well. A relitivly straight shot to the trunk from the battery.

Start in the center, or trunk. Do not start at the battery, or all of the wire for the run will have to be treaded through the "hard part" of the run. There are plenty of spots to use small wire ties to secure your wiring like the factory does, or about every 18".

Have fun.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

Im wary about running the cables under the door paneling just cause i will have 3 sets of rca cables and 2 sets of 2gauge power cables, so im not 100% it will fit. I will have to check tomorrow when there is some light... On another topic.. how does the WRX handle bass, does it rattle?

i would run the power on the drivers side and the RCA cables on the passenger side door sills.
    t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???
    ooo you touched my tra la la
    Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    My buddy has an SRT-4, I watched him beat an F-16 from a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN91709
    i would run the power on the drivers side and the RCA cables on the passenger side door sills.
    Agreed...

I would run the power cables through the drivers side firewall gommet. Just cut a slit in the grommet and pass the wires through. I ran my power cable this way and took off the front and rear door sills and hid the wire under the carpet. What are you going to be running? 2-two gauge wires sounds like an awful lot. I also ran 3 sets of RCA's in my car. I tried to run the rca's down the passenger side the same way that I ran the power cable on the drivers side, but I couldn't get the rca's to fit, so I ran them down the center of the car. It was a pain in the ass to get the cables under the carpet behind the console, but I managed. Make sure you separate run the power and rca's seperate or else you will have some serious interference going throught the rca's.

I'd run power wire in split loom underneath the car along a frame rail or something you can drill holes in to secure the wire with thick wire ties. That's how I did my last ride, worked great. The trickiest part is getting the wire from the battery down to the bottom of the car while keeping it away from heat sources.

And of course run the RCA's on the opposite side of the car.

I wasnt aware that running the rca cables next to the power cables makes interference, so I will def. keep that in mind. Im going to power an Alpine M1000, and a Alpine F545 so its alot of power. Should I worry about Dynamatting the trunk as well?

With that kind of power I would definitly use some sort of sound deadening. It will help keep the rattles down and sound in (attract less attention from people you don't want attention from.) What subs are you running that much power to?

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN91709
    Thats what I did....
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

Also, why not run a larger gauge power wire to a distrobution block instead of running two wires? seems like a lot of trouble.

Sadly these questions are just poorly thought out, I didnt even consider a distribution block.. meh, just more to think about i guess... Im running two Diamond Audio CM3 10's. they hit pretty damn hard in my last car.

What is the RMS wattage that those amps put out. Of course the output wattage will depend on the impedance you have the subs wired to. I would say that you could easily get away with 1 four gauge cable for your power supply to the amps. You would be suprised how much constant power you could run off of a 4 gauge.

The Alpine M1000 puts out 1000watts RMS at 2ohms, and the F545 is a 4 channel which puts out 125watts RMS per channel
    I already have all the cables left over from my old setup. I will attempt the install tomorrow afternoon with one of my buddies...