Viper Car Alarm
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Viper Car Alarm within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; has any1 here installed a viper car alarm with remote start?? im looking into doing it but i just wanted ...

Viper Car Alarm

has any1 here installed a viper car alarm with remote start?? im looking into doing it but i just wanted to have some feedback from the forum. i have a manual wrx and i know its not safe to put the remote on manual cars only cause it can move if u park in first.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've installed hundreds of Viper alarms and remote starts. My 2 cents is.......don't do it. It can be done, but I personally wouldn't do it. I would love to have remote start on my TR, but it's not worth the risk. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I remote started my car somewhere and it jumped into gear and it severely injured or even killed someone, plus we live in a sue happy society, so........ I would think long and hard about it before you do it.

I agree with chicken broth (which i find the name hilarious) the liability is huge.
    I put one in a wrx with the remote start active EXCEPT the start wire, that way the turbo timer feature could still be used but could never start from the remote. Clifford has one for manuals, you have to have the ebrake up, engine running, press the remote button, take out the key and arm it, and then the engine will shut off. As long as the alarm wasn't tampered with while you were gone, it'll remote start
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

I have a viper installed on a manual

I have the viper 791 xv (alarm+remote start) installed on my manual 03. The installer wired it up with a NSS (Neutral Saftey Switch).

If you're unfamiliar with these switches, basically you have to "Prime" the car when you get out of it inorder to allow it to remote start, otherwise it just cuts the power to the starter or something.

When i get out i have to:

1. Put car in neutral
    2. Apply E-brake
    3. Release clutch/brake
    4. Push the start button on the remote (only extra step that I had to do)
    5. Open door and get out of the car
    6. Close the door, the car shuts itself off at this point and is now allowed to remote start

It sounds like a real pain in the ass, but it takes about 2 seconds extra when getting out of the car. I got the system because I was living in Montana and wanted to allow the car to warm up before i jumped in to head out for work/school/etc.

Hope that sheds some light on the situation. If you live in an area with cold winters, this is very handy. Now that I'm in Seattle I never use it though...

One thing though... The Viper 791 has a built in turbo timer feature, which could be handy for you. However with this NSS switch the turbo timer will NOT work. When you shut the door, the NSS kills the car, basically overriding anything that you would be trying to do with the turbo timer feature.

Hope this helps.

I install these everyday (my job)
    I have a TR and would not do it to someone elses car. just too big a liability.
    I did it to keep the turbo timer function plus the responder remotes are cool.
    I did recently add the rem start feature using the oem neutral safety switch just to see if it worked. and it does and I havent had a problem yet. but my last car I ran into too many things. I dont use my rem start very often just to be safe.

Registered User GetawayInBouldr's Avatar
    I've had the remote start feature active on my Viper 791 for over a year with absolutely no problems. The neutral safety sensor of the Alarm/RS is wired to the the neutral sensor wire as described by vypr2002. This method is far more reliable than using magnetic reed switches. I also never leave my transmission in gear unless I'm on a hill, so I feel pretty comfortable about not causing an accident.

A safe remote start system is possible given a good install and a conscious awareness of your actions. Unfortunately, I doubt you will ever find a shop that would perform the install. You' d have better luck, IMO, to find a friend of a friend, but then you don't know how good the install will be. I have personally seen a number of "friend of a friend" installs and believe me, some of them are not pretty!
    ~ Silver Wagon Club ~

first day i got mine installed i remote started it into a cement trash can. $600 later, i have my car in neutral at ALL times when im park. ive had a switch installed since day one that will not allow remote starts or turbo timing. i use it when i valet or drop it off at the shop, so no one remote starts it by accident. my buddy put one in his 240sx and remote started it into his garage. he swears that the car was in neutral, but happen to knock into gear some how. my other buddy put a bra on his integra because he ran into a curb remote starting and didnt want to get it fixed.. its been two years now since my accident and all is well. ive learn from my one mistake and i feel comfortable remote starting it at anytime. 3 cars with sticks and remote starts and 3 accidents. so what i guess im saying is go for it
    lightly modded with a hint of audiophile

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.