Hella supertone install help!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

This is a discussion on Hella supertone install help! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Can anybody help me out please. I'm all searched out and still confused. I hooked up the hellas as follows... ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Hah72215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    264

    Hella supertone install help!

    Can anybody help me out please. I'm all searched out and still confused.

    I hooked up the hellas as follows...


    I spliced the black and blue stock horn wire and ran the wire to 86
    I grounded both of the hellas to the center post where the middle stock horn was mounted and hooked up both hellas to 87
    I ran a wire from 30 to the positive terminal of my battery with an inline fuse
    I ran a wire from 85 to a ground on the fender where my relay is.

    I have a switch with 3 plugs power, acc, and ground.

    I ran a wire from the power to the positive battery terminal
    I ran a wire from the ground to the same fender ground

    Which wire do I splice into to attach to the acc plug on the switch?

    I want to switch between stock horns and stock horns and hellas.

    I tried splicing into the wire going into 86 and the switch triggered both the stock and hellas and the actual horn on the steering wheel didn't do anything.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User Hah72215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    264
    Bump...

    Please help... There's gotta be an electrician expert out here.

    Thanks
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

  4. #3
    Registered User JOHN91709's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    So-Cal
    Posts
    1,713
    t3h Z w00t!!!
    Blobeye Syndicate #12
    ???
    ooo you touched my tra la la
    Quote Originally Posted by ShardAerithes
    My buddy has an SRT-4, I watched him beat an F-16 from a roll.

  5. #4
    Registered User Hah72215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    264
    Thanks, I found that page earlier but I didn't read it that closely.
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

  6. #5
    Registered User Hah72215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    264
    OK I went off the instructions posted above and I have everything setup except for the wire running from the OEM horns to the switch. Is this just the black/blue wire that hooks right up to the horns? If so, should I join the wires from both stock horns and run that to the switch?

    I have the switch working with just the hellas and they are loud! I just wanted to make sure of the wire for the stock horns. Thanks.
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

  7. #6

    Registered User

    amccrazgrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    richmond va
    Posts
    665
    my hella horns blew themselves out
    that was a waste of 60 bucks but i did love them when they worked
    April 04 WRBlue Pearl MT <--"Stitch"
    Mods: Premium Package,STI short shifter and titanuim knob,Momo Airleather shift knob,Rota Formels 17's,AP Stage 2,Coolsafe Thermostat, Apexi Intake, RallyArmor mudflaps, Bosal Cat-back exhaust, Crucial Racing Down-pipe, gold painted calipers,daddy's group buy 3 52mm gagues, center pod, delphi xm radio, JVC CD reciever

  8. #7
    Registered User 20wrx02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    South East Mass
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by Hah72215
    OK I went off the instructions posted above and I have everything setup except for the wire running from the OEM horns to the switch. Is this just the black/blue wire that hooks right up to the horns? If so, should I join the wires from both stock horns and run that to the switch?

    I have the switch working with just the hellas and they are loud! I just wanted to make sure of the wire for the stock horns. Thanks.

    i just cut off the stock horn wires and tap into those for the hella -- be sure to get a higher rated fuse and replace it with the stock one located in the engine bay

    mine is still running strong after 1 yr
    Last edited by 20wrx02; 05-14-2006 at 08:50 PM.
    SOLD TDCTUNED 290WHP@255TQ RA Gears & 2nd Motor, 2002 wrx
    SOLD 345WHP@340WTQ 2007 Legacy GT Brentuned stage 2.5
    2015 WRX Limited Stock

  9. #8
    Registered User Hah72215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    264
    My hellas are working great. I'm just trying to setup the switch for the stock horns. I have an emtpy plug on my switch for the stockers. Should I just splice into the stock horn wires right before the horns and run that to the switch?
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

  10. #9
    Registered User blarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calmer than you are
    Posts
    10,366
    why did you wire in another relay? you already HAVE a horn relay. All you have to do is connect the existing horn wire to positive and ground it to chasis.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

  11. #10
    Registered User Hah72215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    264
    I used the relay that came with the horn and the instructions said to use the relay that was provided. I wired in a switch to try and go back and forth between hella and stockers and according to these instrctions: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=303095 I just need to hook one more wire up from the switch to the stockers. I just need confirmation on the last step. Is the stock horn wire simply the wire that runs right to the stock horn (black/blue)?
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

  12. #11
    Registered User blarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calmer than you are
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Hah72215
    I used the relay that came with the horn and the instructions said to use the relay that was provided. I wired in a switch to try and go back and forth between hella and stockers and according to these instrctions: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=303095 I just need to hook one more wire up from the switch to the stockers. I just need confirmation on the last step. Is the stock horn wire simply the wire that runs right to the stock horn (black/blue)?
    there are actually THREE stock horn wires.

    two in front of the grille, and one hear the fusebox in the engine compartment (if you have the factory alarm). they are all hot. the ground is the back of the horn, which bolts to the chasis, thus providing ground.

    on aftermarket horns, you just make a short wire and run it from negative to anywhere on the chasis...I just did a slightly different horn install...see if this helps you at all:

    basically, the horn relay provided with most horns is there to keep you from burning out your OEM horn wiring by drawing more current that it was designed to. Most cars made in the last few years already have this built-in. you can acually hear the relay click when you sound your horn. So...if you're installing this relay so you can use the original horn circuit as a signal and draw power right from the battery, this is not necessary, if you're using the relay to switch between two horns, that's another matter. I just removed my stock horns...I always thought Japanese horns sound like a whiny b!tch. There's no law regulating what kind of horn you have...it just has to be louder than a minimum level.

    super-loud air horn - totally hidden and out of the way
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

  13. #12
    Registered User Hah72215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    264
    Cool, I think that's what I was looking for. Where exactly is the wire near the fuse box? The wire I'm looking for should make the stock horns go off if grounded. Would that be it?
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

  14. #13
    Registered User blarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calmer than you are
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Hah72215
    Cool, I think that's what I was looking for. Where exactly is the wire near the fuse box? The wire I'm looking for should make the stock horns go off if grounded. Would that be it?
    I don't think so. the wire I'm talking about is the wire that the OEM horn plugs into. it originates from the harness hear the battery, runs around the radiator, and to the grille where it goes to the contact on the stock horn...there's also another wire that runs up the center post in the middle of the grille it goes on the other horn. There's no ground wire. the back of the horn housing itself is the negative terminal.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

  15. #14
    Registered User Hah72215's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    264
    Hmmm. Ok I'm still not sure which wire these instructions are talking about in this part( bolded):

    Switching between Hella and OEM horns
    Take the trigger wire for the Hellas that you pushed through the firewall, hook it to one side of a SPST switch. Take the wire to the OEM horns(they go off when you ground it) and hook it to the opposite side of the switch. Take the steering wheel horn switch wire and hook it to the common(middle usually) terminal of the switch.
    Tada! Press the horn switch on the steering wheel and one set of horns will go off. Flip your switch and the other set will go off.
    This is handy in CA since there are noise requirements for horns. If you hit the hellas and a cop is nearby and chooses to harass you, you can flip the switch back to OEM horns for a demo.

    Do you have any idea?
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

  16. #15
    Registered User blarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calmer than you are
    Posts
    10,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Hah72215
    Hmmm. Ok I'm still not sure which wire these instructions are talking about in this part( bolded):

    Switching between Hella and OEM horns
    Take the trigger wire for the Hellas that you pushed through the firewall, hook it to one side of a SPST switch. Take the wire to the OEM horns(they go off when you ground it) and hook it to the opposite side of the switch. Take the steering wheel horn switch wire and hook it to the common(middle usually) terminal of the switch.
    Tada! Press the horn switch on the steering wheel and one set of horns will go off. Flip your switch and the other set will go off.
    This is handy in CA since there are noise requirements for horns. If you hit the hellas and a cop is nearby and chooses to harass you, you can flip the switch back to OEM horns for a demo.

    Do you have any idea?
    I live in CA. I've NEVER been bothered for having a horn that's too loud. The reason you get harassed is because the ONLY time you're allowed to legally use your horn is when you're in imminent danger of getting into an accident, are backing up, or are going through a 1-lane bridge. Any other uses of your horn are technically speaking illegal. As far as I know there are no regulations for horns other than the one that says it must be AT LEAST a certain dB level at 6 feet.

    as for OEM horn wire they're talking about, yeah that is that wire...or the one on the center post. they go to the same place.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •