stock radio question #2

This is a discussion on stock radio question #2 within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i know this isn't a high end unit (i would have loved to get the mcintsosh system subaru offers in ...

stock radio question #2

i know this isn't a high end unit (i would have loved to get the mcintsosh system subaru offers in the outback), but has anyone had reception problems? there are stations that i literally cannot receive. i live the same place i always have and have never had this problem in any of the 5 cars we've owned recently. so my question is, is this typical of the unit or could there be something wrong with mine in particular?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm not trying to be mean. My g/f kept complaining that she never got as many stations as I did. So i checked the antenna, and it was only halfway out. Made a huge difference. It's low-tech, so it may be possible you haven't yanked that puppy out far enough.

Having said that, I have no trouble with the antenna range, gets actually more stations than the deck in my truck. If it seems sub-par, take it back to the dealer...I haven't heard anyone else complain about the range.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

the antenae is all the way out. i guess i'm going to pull the head unit out and make sure the antenae is plugged in. if it still doesn't work, then i'll take it in.

I experienced the same thing when I bought my '02... The pull out attenea is pretty cheap of subaru to have kept with the WRX model. I changed my radio too and it still pretty low. I truely think that radio stations are cutting thier signal down so people will start buying that Satellite radio thing... Just my opinion though

-alex

personally i think the manual antenna was an excellent idea by subaru. not only is it cheap and pretty functional. it is less electronic parts to deal with that will fail down the road. it is also lighter(not by much) than an electrical unit.

you might want to get an FM amplifier at an auto parts store. I never have my antenna extended, looks ugly..
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

does an fm booster really work? i''ve never known anyone who's used one. that may be the answer.

Yes that is typical for subarus. This is my second first being an RS that had bad reception too well until I put a better radio in. I have heard from a friend that works at circuit city that the boosters do work however sometimes you get engine noise. I say get xm and be done with it subarus stock radio sucks so maybe upgrade it.

-

Bad Reception

My Stock stereo in my 04 WRX got great radio reception, but when i put in my aftermarket Pioneer the reception went to complete ****. There is no antenna because it is printed into the rear window. It is completely plugged in but the reception is awful. The stereo was in my previous car with no problems and the reception was great with the stock stereo. The only thing I can think is that the ground on the side plates that mount to the stereo have something to do in conjuction with the stock stereo that it isn't doing with the aftermarket.

Somebody Please suggest a Fix!
    2004 San Remo Red WRX wagon, 5Spd, short throw, boost gauge

"This is how cars are meant to drive"

Re: Bad Reception

Originally posted by RedDragon
    My Stock stereo in my 04 WRX got great radio reception, but when i put in my aftermarket Pioneer the reception went to complete ****.

Somebody Please suggest a Fix!
    Have you tried attaching a power lead to the car's built-in antenna amplifier? It's a common problem... and an easy fix.

Rick

Only problem I have is it is broken.

CD changer doesn't work, tried everything. I check and see if it will work everyday, and it did yesterday, but then it stopped working when I tried adding another CD.

I was going to go get it warrantied, but I'm just going to get a new HU, I might get it fixed and then sell it...