Stupid question about stereo install

This is a discussion on Stupid question about stereo install within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, Chris Berman on ESPN once said "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people who ask questions" so I ...

Stupid question about stereo install

Well, Chris Berman on ESPN once said "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people who ask questions" so I guess maybe you can put me into that category. Anyway, I want to upgrade the audio system, but before I go out and buy anything I just wanted to find out what is involved in replacement of the stock head unit? I can deal with the wiring and such, but the actual removal of the stock cd changer has my shaking my head a tiny bit. Am I going to have to take the dash apart? If so, how do I go about it without destroying anything? I guess those are my only questions for now, but any info would be great.

Thanks!
    -Ari

P.S. Just to check.....I will need to buy a wiring harness and the compartment thing to fill the other half of the opening correct?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    Since I don't own one....

here's my educated guess.

YOu'll have to pry the trim panel off the dash.

Use a screwdriver or socket to remove the radio.

Use a screwdriver to remove the brackets which will be re-used.

You'll need a single-din cuppyhole

The center dash must get removed.
    There are pics available on where the snaps are located. First remove the cupholder...that open a lot it up. Then stick something REALLY thin and wedge and pull. I got a couple of minor scratches/nicks...I really don't see how this can be avoided.

After the panel is out, it's just screws. The whole just slides right out after that.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Thanks for the info guys. That's all I really needed to know. Oh, should I get a wiring harness from somewhere before I get started on this?

A wiring harness is nice because you can attach all the wires inside before hand and then just plug it in once you get the car apart. It's a pain to go back to stock without one too.

The trim puls right off and the screws after that are obvious. You'll probably want this wiring chart

Thanks for the link to the wiring chart, it will definitely be useful. I think that's pretty much all the info I'm going to need for now. As far as I know anyway. Thanks for the quick replies!

Exclamation

You might want to buy a harness from a local stereo shop instead of splicing the hell out of your existing stereo harness. I had to learn the hard way and it looked pretty messy, now my system is pretty clean & professional looking. My harness was bout $20, but got it free from the stereo shop with a bit of bargining when I bought my new CD player. I miss the changer so much though...

-alex