seat belt material?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on seat belt material? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Are the seat belts made out of nylon? If not, anyone know what the material is? My driver side belt ...

seat belt material?

Are the seat belts made out of nylon? If not, anyone know what the material is?

My driver side belt squeaks with any movement as the belt moves through the upper mount. I want to put a little lubricant on the spot where it normally rests with me buckled in. The squeak isn't loud, but it is about 3 inches from my ear and it is driving me nuts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This is common. Check scoobymods or even here for how to either dremel the inside of the body panel where there is a ridge touching the belt, and/or add some foam material inside.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I saw that, but my squeak is coming from the top mount where the belt material glides over the plastic d-ring, not from the interior panel rubbing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Really?! Interesting. I'm having trouble visualizing how you could lube the ring without having the belt smear the stuff everywhere as you wear it.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I was thinking of rubbing a little teflon into the belt material itself in the area that it contacts the d-ring with it buckled with me in the car. I would use a very small amount so that there really wouldn't be much getting spread across the belt, but I don't want to use a lubricant that will eat the belt material...

de-squeaking your seatbelt is an easy mod...

and as for material, seatbelts are all made from the taints of Mongolian Beaver Fish...a very rate and exotic animal found only in one place on Earth...it is the only substance known to man that is strong enough to keep a person in their seat durring an auto collision.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Wow, what a tremendously helpful post...

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    de-squeaking your seatbelt is an easy mod...

and as for material, seatbelts are all made from the taints of Mongolian Beaver Fish...a very rate and exotic animal found only in one place on Earth...it is the only substance known to man that is strong enough to keep a person in their seat durring an auto collision.
    damn smarty pants!
    Stage II and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by tshrey
    Wow, what a tremendously helpful post...

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...light=seatbelt

some people have no sense of humor.
    go f*** yourself

My humor is functioning fine. The original response by SD_GR pointed to the scoobymods solution; my response was that I am not suffering from that problem. My belt doesn't squeak when I pull it out and it isn't coming from the interior panel. Any movement of the car that changes my body position makes the belt squeak as it rides through the upper d-ring - we're talking as little as a millimeter of belt movement. The squeak is pretty quiet - passengers can't hear it - but it is right next to my ear and it is driving me insane.

So, back to the original question, anyone know what the belt is made of? Will I hurt it with Teflon?

I Support ClubWRX
    The original poster has seen this though, and thinks this is not the issue but rather the d-ring is the issue. I don't know how well teflon on the D-ring will work...

how about getting a little patch of silk or some other slick durable material and sewing it over the metal on the d-ring?
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Leather?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Leather?

that would be a b!tch to sew...
    go f*** yourself

I like the silk idea, but instead of over the d-ring maybe I will just sew a couple inch section onto the underside of the belt...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast