kartboy help

This is a discussion on kartboy help within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im trying to get my new lever in the socket, but it doesnt want to go in. I tried more ...

kartboy help

Im trying to get my new lever in the socket, but it doesnt want to go in. I tried more lube and hammering it some more, but yet again no luck. (this post is sounding "interesting" off the bat) is there any other way to get the lever in or a more effective way? i also tried the knob and palm trick. damn..this post is going to be deleted for sure. if the admins know how to rephrase that let me know.
    lightly modded with a hint of audiophile

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well i wish i had better news for you, but the good ol' hammer smashing down on the lever (with some sort of cushioning on top of course) is about the only way your gonna get that ball into the socket. Just keep tryinig....took me 10 times and two phonebooks
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

1. Hold the lever at the lowest point possible and a slight angle towards you (if you were in the driver's seat)

2. Hit it as hard as you can with a rubber mallet.

It's very frustrating but that "pop" that lets you know it's in the socket is very rewarding haha

after using a rubber mallet and hammer, with the proper protection on the hammer and lever of course, i decided to get some help. my buddy said, "all you need is music, beer, and a heavier hammer." nothing gets the I'm-pissed-at-my-lever-that-won't-go-into-a-stupid-socket mood than slipknot and some brew. feelin the buzz, we hopped into the car, i held the lever and he put a block over it and whacked it with his sledgehammer. *pop* best feeling in the world. the throw is soooooooooooo much better. we also installed the front and rear bushings. the feel is amazing. really solid. after a test drive, we got back and drank some more to celebrate a DIY well done. for all you future DIY on a short shifter, cookies and vodka are two things great seperately, but not together.
    lightly modded with a hint of audiophile

I put a small block of 2x4 on top of the shifter and then smacked it once with a 20 pound sledge hammer. 1 Hit was all it took. I didn't even really hit it either. It was more like I held the hammer about 8 inches above the wood block and then let it drop.

2005 WRX Sedan
    2005 Honda CRF 50
    2003 Suzuki GSXR 600
    1994 Suzuki Sidekick (Beater)