Help with Gauge wiring

This is a discussion on Help with Gauge wiring within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I hate wiring. I have a greddy EGT and fuel pressure gauge, and today I decided to finally wire the ...

Help with Gauge wiring

I hate wiring.

I have a greddy EGT and fuel pressure gauge, and today I decided to finally wire the thing together.

It requires a 12v source, ignition hookup, illumination hookup, and ground.

The 12v is hooked up to the cigarette lighter fuse, the illumination to, surprise, the lights fuse (as referenced off projectwrx.com), the ignition to the ignition fuse, being the one next to the illumination fuse as far as I can tell. Ground is attached to the hood latch bolt.

After hooking everything up, The gauge works, until I turn on the lights. When I turn the lights on, it cuts the gauge out. No sign of illumination on the gauge either. If I unhook the illumination wire, it doesnt work at all.

What's goin on with this thing? Any help? Anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

thats a weird one... i have the same gauges and i followed the projectwrx.com instructions too... but mine work perfect and they light up fine too.
    i would say to redue it all... remove it all and start from the begining and then see if it works... you may have missed a step or something. if they still dont work, then try to troubleshoot... starting with the easiest to do and move to the harder things to do.
    '05 CGM Subaru Impreza WRX Mods
    '02 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX (sold)
    '94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L (daily)
    '90 Toyota Supra Turbo

Update-

The light on the gauge is on, very dimly, as long as the lights are not turned on. The thought occured to me that I may have ignition/illumination lights reversed (As the reason for ignition sensing is to cut out power to the gauge, I assume) but the manual clearly states ORANGE - Ignition WHITE - Illumination.

Plus when I turn the key to the ignition position it cuts out fine.

Sigh. I'll try again when I have some light, though I don't really know what else to try.