egt gauge
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on egt gauge within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey all, i've done alot of searching and i can't really find any useful information. i've got a few of ...

egt gauge

hey all, i've done alot of searching and i can't really find any useful information. i've got a few of questions about egt gauges. ok first, where is the best place to place the probe? second i am eventually going to get the cobb stage 2 with the up pipe with the factory egt bung. is there anyway to tap off that to it for a egt gauge or do i have to make my own hole? pics welcome. thanks alot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you don't need one for a cobb stage 2.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

its not a need, but I think its a smart investment. To answer your que's, you can put the egt in the uppipe bung, but the stock sensor needs to go there or it will give some CEL's. Most people put it in the drivers side exhaust, about 1-2 inches down from the block. It took me about 45 minutes to pull of the heat shields, pull off the one section of exhaust, drill/tap hole, clean it out, and reinstall everything. This will by far give you the best readings (around 1550 degrees F is the max limit most go by).

Sorry though, no pics. But I hope this helps
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

the #4 cylinder gets the hottest...most people wil tap right near #4, or that "nub" between #2 and #4 on the factory casting. Still unless you got something else going on the Stage 2 by itself has already been tuned to not exceed the recomended EGT. Putting the EGT probe in the uppipe is pretty useless...it just makes the gauge work and look pretty, but the readings you get from the uppipe are too far from the cylinder to be useful for tuning.

I've actually seen people tap the header, while on the car, with the motor running....apparently that blows away the metal shavings are you drill...of course it blows them right into the turbo...so I don't get it. Its best to take off the header. Some people put in on the passanger's side #3 cylinder because that side of the manifold has to come off when they're installing the uppipe anyway...and on that side #3 is the hottest, but if you REALLY want to be safe you'll want to take off the driver's side header and tap #4.
    Last edited by blarg; 04-13-2006 at 08:50 AM.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Check out scoobymods.com for a writeup with pics

It actually benefited me to have the gauge with Stage II because one of the earlier map revisions had me up to 1650 degrees. This was eventually fixed with a subsequent map version.
    Last edited by 04blkWRX; 04-13-2006 at 12:05 PM.
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.