stock unit w/ sub

This is a discussion on stock unit w/ sub within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How do owners of the upgraded stereo with sub feel about the sound quality? Is it better to get the ...

stock unit w/ sub

How do owners of the upgraded stereo with sub feel about the sound quality? Is it better to get the cheapest stereo option and upgrade from a stereo shop with the money saved on not upgrading the stereo?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's pretty good and has a decent amount of bass. See if you can get the dealer to throw it in for cheap when you buy the car, if not go aftermarket.
    2oo2 WRX Sdn
    'less is more'

Totally depends on your personal taste.

Most of the threads on it seems very negative, but I think the majority stick to their stock system. The 6 disc changer is nice and obviously looks perfect where it is.

I got the upgrade speakers and sub. I thought it sounded pretty good. Over time, I'm getting annoyed at how easily the sub distorts...doesn't need to be very loud before it starts to sound very bad. Also, the mid-range isn't as clear as I would like, which isn't good for most vocals.

Would I change it?
    Naw, it's probably the last thing that will get upgraded on my car.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

I also have the upgraded speaker package and the sub.

You won't get blown away by the sound quality, it tends to distort at higher volumes. If I had to do it again I'd just get the upgraded speakers and do an aftermarket sub, since most of the music I listen to doesn't require a lot of midrange.

If your an audiophile, I'd recomend not getting any of the speaker options and going full aftermarket.

I also have the Upgraded package... That sub sounds okay when your jammin old Beastie Boys ( old school beats ), other than that it kinda sucks....
    But... Iím taking care of that with a JL 10W7 Muhaha... Iím tellin you guys... If you haven't heard this sub yet it will blow your mind... The speaker is 45 lbs all by its self. I know its added weight but man it hits so hard. I was in a demo room at the local car audio store.. This speaker alone hit twice as hard as 4 solobaric 12" (square series). The price tag is high but its worth it.

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/w7.html

Recommended Sealed Volume is only 1.25 cu. ft!

Now Iím gonna have to boost a little more for the weight compensation

Originally posted by Biaxin
    Now Iím gonna have to boost a little more for the weight compensation
    It's a pity that bass frequencies aren't directional. If they were, you could point your woofer out the back and use the sound pressure waves to lower 60' to around 1.0 sec.

As others have said, if you really want a nice system, go aftermarket. I've never seen (I know some exist, I've just never seen them) a "stock" audio system that could compete with aftermarket stuff. They spend too much money on the car itself to be able to stick some REALLY nice system in and still make as much as they want. My $0.02
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion