Autometer Cobalt vs. Defi-Link Gauges
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Autometer Cobalt vs. Defi-Link Gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What do you guys think of these two? I've heard mixed opinions about Autometer gauges. I really really like the ...

Autometer Cobalt vs. Defi-Link Gauges

What do you guys think of these two? I've heard mixed opinions about Autometer gauges. I really really like the Cobalt series, plus they light blue which would match my dash lights nicely. Only thing I don't like is there isn't a wide selection. I think I want three gauges: Boost, Oil Temp, and EGT. Cobalt doesn't offer oil temp yet. Anybody know if it's planned?

How about the Defi-Link gauges with the control module? They sound really nice. All digital, you can daisy chain them easily. The 4 minutes of playback is nice too. But I haven't heard much about them. God was telling me they are much better than Autometer, but thats all I've heard. Plus I haven't seen any pics of them in cars. Anybody have them installed? Got any pics of them? I'd like to see a pic of them at night.

Little OT: What is the difference between mechanical and electrical gauges? Is it the sensor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey verbal...

I can't help you with your Defi vs Autometer question other than to say that I'm planning on using Defi. As far as electrical vs mechanical goes, it's simply a question of what makes the needle on the gauge move. Mechanical gauges need to have the data physically sent to the gauge, ie. you have to run a boost line to the boost gauge or a fuel pressure line to the fuel pressure gauge (which is BTW illegal to have inside the cabin of a vehicle). Electrical gauges rely on sensors outside of the cabin that send electrical signals to small motors in the gauges.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Originally posted by djrez4
    Hey verbal...

I can't help you with your Defi vs Autometer question other than to say that I'm planning on using Defi. As far as electrical vs mechanical goes, it's simply a question of what makes the needle on the gauge move. Mechanical gauges need to have the data physically sent to the gauge, ie. you have to run a boost line to the boost gauge or a fuel pressure line to the fuel pressure gauge (which is BTW illegal to have inside the cabin of a vehicle). Electrical gauges rely on sensors outside of the cabin that send electrical signals to small motors in the gauges.
    Fuel pressure guages are illegal
    2005 WRX STI Black/Gold

An in-cabin mechanicla fuel-pressure gauge is illegal.

One law that actually makes sense. I wouldn't want to be piping hot gasoline into the cabin of my car. All it would take is a failed bit of teflon tape to start spray high-pressure fuel into the cabin of the vehicle. Woe be to the smoke who this happens to!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Anybody?

the defi link is pretty
    i like it soooo much
    it's a matter of taste, some prefer needle, some like digital
    defi link ..... how much is that ?

IMO Defi is a lot better than autometer, definitely choose the best for your car..

DEFI QUALITY
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

I've seen the Defi Links on a guys car in the chicago area. They are really really nice. Go for them if you've got the $$

tcc

I've been trying to find a pic of the Defi gauges installed. I'd like to see what they look like, day and night. I don't want a gauge pod, I want them on the a-pillar. I know the Defi gauges are big, so I'm not sure if I could put them on the pillar.

Anybody have any pics? Anybody have them installed?

go here

http://www.defi-shop.com/product/dl/dl_top.htm

and try to find START icon and click it
    it's a flash movie
    u will see the beauty of defi gauges ^_^
    defi link is awesome too

i wish someone can post auto meter gauge at night

There are pics of the Autometer Cobalt's on their site. Don't have link right now though.

I have DefiLink 60mm guages and I love them. The Fuel pressure and Boost guages are rediculiously precise. They use stepping motors in their guages, which is why they're so expensive. And the diasy chain feature is a godsend. It makes everything so easy to install. I highly recomend them.

Also, I got my guages from Dan at Godspeed. Good service, fair price. Can't go wrong.
    Trunkmonkey Racing
    Team Monkey Wrench

Defi gauges are really nice. But I just realized they are in metric. I REALLY do not want metric. I guess I have to search more..=\

Most of the guages come in US (imperial) readouts too... At least the 52mm ones...

I think this is the kit I'm going to get too.

-d
    2001 Audi S4 - Silver
    2002 Subaru WRX - Midnight Black
    2000 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow
    1997 Dodge Intrepid ES - Black
    1991 Ford Taurus SHO - Hunter Green
    [No car below 200HP here!]

You found the Defi gauges in psi/f?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.