Autometer Cobalt vs. Defi-Link Gauges
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Autometer Cobalt vs. Defi-Link Gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What do you guys think of these two? I've heard mixed opinions about Autometer gauges. I really really like the ...

Autometer Cobalt vs. Defi-Link Gauges

What do you guys think of these two? I've heard mixed opinions about Autometer gauges. I really really like the Cobalt series, plus they light blue which would match my dash lights nicely. Only thing I don't like is there isn't a wide selection. I think I want three gauges: Boost, Oil Temp, and EGT. Cobalt doesn't offer oil temp yet. Anybody know if it's planned?

How about the Defi-Link gauges with the control module? They sound really nice. All digital, you can daisy chain them easily. The 4 minutes of playback is nice too. But I haven't heard much about them. God was telling me they are much better than Autometer, but thats all I've heard. Plus I haven't seen any pics of them in cars. Anybody have them installed? Got any pics of them? I'd like to see a pic of them at night.

Little OT: What is the difference between mechanical and electrical gauges? Is it the sensor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey verbal...

I can't help you with your Defi vs Autometer question other than to say that I'm planning on using Defi. As far as electrical vs mechanical goes, it's simply a question of what makes the needle on the gauge move. Mechanical gauges need to have the data physically sent to the gauge, ie. you have to run a boost line to the boost gauge or a fuel pressure line to the fuel pressure gauge (which is BTW illegal to have inside the cabin of a vehicle). Electrical gauges rely on sensors outside of the cabin that send electrical signals to small motors in the gauges.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Originally posted by djrez4
    Hey verbal...

I can't help you with your Defi vs Autometer question other than to say that I'm planning on using Defi. As far as electrical vs mechanical goes, it's simply a question of what makes the needle on the gauge move. Mechanical gauges need to have the data physically sent to the gauge, ie. you have to run a boost line to the boost gauge or a fuel pressure line to the fuel pressure gauge (which is BTW illegal to have inside the cabin of a vehicle). Electrical gauges rely on sensors outside of the cabin that send electrical signals to small motors in the gauges.
    Fuel pressure guages are illegal
    2005 WRX STI Black/Gold

An in-cabin mechanicla fuel-pressure gauge is illegal.

One law that actually makes sense. I wouldn't want to be piping hot gasoline into the cabin of my car. All it would take is a failed bit of teflon tape to start spray high-pressure fuel into the cabin of the vehicle. Woe be to the smoke who this happens to!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Anybody?

the defi link is pretty
    i like it soooo much
    it's a matter of taste, some prefer needle, some like digital
    defi link ..... how much is that ?

IMO Defi is a lot better than autometer, definitely choose the best for your car..

DEFI QUALITY
    La Fee Verte
    Subaru 2002 Impreza WRX Sedan

I've seen the Defi Links on a guys car in the chicago area. They are really really nice. Go for them if you've got the $$

tcc

I've been trying to find a pic of the Defi gauges installed. I'd like to see what they look like, day and night. I don't want a gauge pod, I want them on the a-pillar. I know the Defi gauges are big, so I'm not sure if I could put them on the pillar.

Anybody have any pics? Anybody have them installed?

go here

http://www.defi-shop.com/product/dl/dl_top.htm

and try to find START icon and click it
    it's a flash movie
    u will see the beauty of defi gauges ^_^
    defi link is awesome too

i wish someone can post auto meter gauge at night

There are pics of the Autometer Cobalt's on their site. Don't have link right now though.

I have DefiLink 60mm guages and I love them. The Fuel pressure and Boost guages are rediculiously precise. They use stepping motors in their guages, which is why they're so expensive. And the diasy chain feature is a godsend. It makes everything so easy to install. I highly recomend them.

Also, I got my guages from Dan at Godspeed. Good service, fair price. Can't go wrong.
    Trunkmonkey Racing
    Team Monkey Wrench

Defi gauges are really nice. But I just realized they are in metric. I REALLY do not want metric. I guess I have to search more..=\

Most of the guages come in US (imperial) readouts too... At least the 52mm ones...

I think this is the kit I'm going to get too.

-d
    2001 Audi S4 - Silver
    2002 Subaru WRX - Midnight Black
    2000 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow
    1997 Dodge Intrepid ES - Black
    1991 Ford Taurus SHO - Hunter Green
    [No car below 200HP here!]

You found the Defi gauges in psi/f?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast