Sunroof Question...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Sunroof Question... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My sunroof on my '06 WRX stops about half way every time I close it. Is this normal? It does ...

Sunroof Question...

My sunroof on my '06 WRX stops about half way every time I close it. Is this normal? It does it every time, and at the same spot, so it seems like it is supposed to stop there. I find it really annoying because I have to release the switch and then press it again. Am I the only one who finds this annoying? Or should it not be this way?

Also, just to add a quick complaint: Why couldn't they add auto open for the sunroof? My wife's Mazda 3 has it, and it is a lot nicer then having to hold down the switch the whole time.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    CZ

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Its a safety feature, its supposed to do that. The 04 does it too. Its incase something is sticking out.. like a kids head or something, it wont close on them if you hold it down. Its really kinda lame...but what are ya gonna do...still love my sunroof.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

Lawsuits are lame; that's why Subaru added the sunroof safety feature.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    yeah...its that saftey feature so when your driving 100mph and sticking your head out the sunroof and you decide to close it..it wont smash your head....
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

yup, i have that too... though i don't know who would continue closing a sunroof when someone is sticking out of it , but hey... there are many stupid people out there.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

That's what I thought...

I figured it was supposed to do that, but it is nice to have it confirmed.

It is annoying. I understand not having auto close for safety reasons, but usually if you have to hold down the button, you aren't going to smash someone's limb (unless you do it on purpose). I mean, the same thing could be said about the window. Why doesn't that stop half way up?

Anyways, thanks for the responses.

CZ

it is annoying, especially since the legacys, even the non-turbo wagons have auto open and close, like my 00 maxima did. i miss it, but then again i'm happy to have a wrx with a sunroof anyway, since most don't have them.but it still sucks
    New England F4
    If you're not shifting, you're just riding.

I totalled my WRX

I don't think the safety features are in place to protect imbiciles, but rather to protect children who don't know any better. Then that begs the question, where are the children's parents while the kids are alone in the car?

Children killing themselves accidentally is exactly why safety regulations require that power window switches require the operator to pull up on the switch instead of pushing down. Kids were putting their weight on the rocker type switches, which make the power window motors force the window onto the kids' necks and suffocating them.

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

(double post)

Mine didn't come with a sunroof
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    every time anyone asks to drive my car - even valets I say "no". when they say "what's the big deal?" I say "would you let someone wear your underwear? would you let someone have sex with your girlfriend? ....same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by overwrxed24
    That's why i'm happy i have one at all.........

sunroof laughs> http://www.snopes.com/photos/advertisements/sportka.asp
    New England F4
    If you're not shifting, you're just riding.

I totalled my WRX

Quote Originally Posted by silvewrx
    That's why i'm happy i have one at all.........

sunroof laughs> http://www.snopes.com/photos/advertisements/sportka.asp
    ROFL!!!!!
    I need a sunroof like that. Alot of stray cats around here...

Quote Originally Posted by overwrxed24
    Mine did.
    2005 WRB WRX Stage 2
    Blobeye Syndicate #76
    A Must Read http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...do-not-do.html

I did a little asking...

It didn't make sense to me that it was just a safety feature, so I did something dumb...I asked somebody at the subaru dealership!...(gasp!!!) I know, I know, they usually don't know what they are talking about, but he is a friend of mine, and does seem to be very knowledgeable about the cars he sells.

Anyway, his response was that it was designed that way to reduce the wind to the back seat. Personally I have never sat in the back with the sunroof open while driving, so I don't know how windy it gets back there. This way you can close it and it will stop at the spot that reduces the wind to the back seat, but still allows in fresh air. That was his response. Don't know whether it is true or not, but it kind of makes sense.

Just thought I would share

CZ

I don't have a sunroof in my WRX, but in other cars I've driven, I'll open the sunroof halfway to reduce the wind to the backseat. Makes sense to me, but so does the "safety" feature. I mean, I can't count the number of times I've randomly gotten the urge, while the car is in motion, to stick [body part] out the sunroof while the driver is closing it.

Seems like a rather specific problem to solve.
    In short: HLGBGUAHUGLABLAGUHGALGHAGHL
    Mods::Pics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.