A/F meter, Oil Pressure, and boost guage.... INSTALL GUIDE
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on A/F meter, Oil Pressure, and boost guage.... INSTALL GUIDE within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Gretings everyone.. I've been busy this weekend....... Once again, I found myself searching through dozens of threads about gauge installations, ...

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar

A/F meter, Oil Pressure, and boost guage.... INSTALL GUIDE

Gretings everyone..

I've been busy this weekend....... Once again, I found myself searching through dozens of threads about gauge installations, especially about the A/F meter, which was usually accompanied by ridicule and doubt, and really offered no help at all.

So I did it all myself, and although I'm a LONG time car buff..... I'm a newbie to the WRX world. I KNOW there's a lot of folks out there that need this info..... I needed it myself this morning, and couldn't find it. So I'm offering this up to any other newbies like me, that need the help. I bought a set of Autometer mechanical C2s... but I imagine most gauges are about the same. I ran the illumination wire on all 3 gauges to the ORANGE wire on the factory stereo harness, and the ground wire to the BLACK wire on the factory stereo harness... poof, I had light.

OIL PRESSURE:

Really only one thread helped me...... because someone already created one, so far be it from me to tell you otherwise. Here's the directions on installing an oil pressure guage:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...p?threadid=612

Now, this tutorial explains how to do it with an electrical gauge, but it works the same with a mechanical one. You will need a crows foot, and I recommend a 10 inch extension for your ratchet, and an allen-head socket. The plug is in there TIGHT,.... I have no idea how he was able to get it out of there with just an allen wrench.

My other advice? DON'T DO IT!!! This gauge was a PAIN IN THE ASS. You do have to remove the intercooler, the Y pipe, and I had to disconnect an air hose, as well as a coolant line, just to get to it..... and my knuckles are still busted all to hell.

Oh yea.... also, the gauge DOES NOT COME with the appropriate size fitting... you'll need to go to Home Depot and pick up a 3/8 adapter to adapt the autometer brass fittings to the Subaru hole...... and use LOTS of teflon tape. the LAST thing you want is to redo this because you have an oil leak.

BOOST GUAGE

There's a rubber grommet about 1.25 inches in diameter just above the clutch pedal. I drilled holes in it to route the capillary tubing through. That worked for the oil pressure gauge as well.

Split the line just above the factory bov, slip in the "T" fitting, and hook up your capillary line..... plain and simple. I recommend using some hose clamps to make it tighter, as the Autometer T fitting seemed a bit loose in the factory lines.

A/F METER

Yes... it works (at least on an 06 it does).... nothing else was needed except what came in the gauge. Theres 4 wires: white, black, red, and purple. White and black are your illumination gauges, and go to the orange and black factory stereo harness wires, respectively. The red wire off the gauge goes to the red wire on the stereo harness. The purple wire????? Easy...

Route the purple wire through the firewall, wrap it in wire wrap, and zip tie it to the frame securely until you get back to the 02 sensor, right behind the first transmission crossmember. There's 4 wires on the 02 sensor...... 2 black ones, a white one, and a blue one.

CONNECT THE PURPLE WIRE FROM THE GAUGE TO THE BLUE WIRE ON THE O2 SENSOR.... piece of cake..... done.

Other stuff:

I also re-routed the factory clock/passenger airbag indicator to the din below the stereo. I had to drill a hole in the back of the din, and I also had to "extend" the factory harness about 4 inches. There's 5 wires in the factory clock harness, so be prepared to splice in 5 wires. I also had to cut the side clips off the clock, as it would not fit in the din until I did.

I hope this helps someone... I know I searched for HOURS trying to find this information earlier today, to no avail (excluding the oil pressure gauge thread).

If there's any questions, go ahead and ask... I just finished the job 30 minutes ago... its still fresh in my mind. In fact, I havent even put my tools away yet.

Good luck everyone.

--Matt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrx dash.jpg 
Views:	1943 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	61802

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here's the correct oil pressure installation guide link:

click here
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Question boost guage

I was reading your forum about hooking up the guage it was very helpful. One question what line above the bov? I was looking at my wrx and I didn't see the line.

Quote Originally Posted by 03 wrx
    I was reading your forum about hooking up the guage it was very helpful. One question what line above the bov? I was looking at my wrx and I didn't see the line.
    Comes right out of the top of the factory bov, then runs up under the intercooler....... just split it, maybe 3 or 4 inches down..... splice in your T fitting, and hook up the capillary tubing.

Again.. might want to "clamp" in the T fitting, it seemed a bit loose without clamps on it.

Question

Thank you I got my boost guage working I just have one more question. I went to go hook up the a/f guage on my 03 wrx to the blue wire on 02 sensor and it didn't work. I have 2 blacks and 1 white and 1 blue just like you where saying. Can you help.

Hmmmmm... not sure... I would say you should try to re-check your work. I installed everything IN the car first. The red wire on the gauge went to the red wire on the stereo harness, the orange wire did the same, and the black did the same as well.

When I turned on the key, I got a light all the way on the lean side... that didn't move.

If you get that, you should be on the right track.

Once you do that.. hook up the purple wire on the gauge to the blue wire on the 02 harness, and you should get an appropriate signal when the engine is running.

If not, maybe the 02 sensor is wired differently on the 03?? Maybe call subaru and ask them what wire on the 02 sensor is the signal wire? Maybe it changed from your 03 to my 06??

Cool

It sits all the way on rich but all check my wires again and call subaru to make sure thats is the singal wire. Thank you for all your help.

I Support ClubWRX
    Your A/f problem I have encountered before. When installing an A/f gauage on a fuel injected car, it is crucial not to splice into the factory 02 sensor. This will cause your car to run rich due to the fact that 02 sensors run off of millivolts and milliamps, and the draw from the signal wire is significant enough to cause a problem. When I went to get a smog check in my old car having done this, it caused the readings to go haywire and by haywire i mean gross pollute and bad. After about $300 in parts the problem persisted. Finally I disconnected the A/f guage, and the car went from gross polluter to emitting only 5% of allowable. You can potentially seriously screw your car up by doing this mod. Lucky for me I put virtually no miles on the car so there were no adverse long term affects. If you must have an A/F guage, spend the extra time and money and weld in an 02 bung and buy a one wire 02 or the autometer 02 sender for the guage.

ninefourteener

on your 06 wrx did this cause your check engine to go on at all? i spoke with the Subaru dealership and the mechanic said I'd have a tone of check engine light problems if I did that. Can hook up a diode to prevent that. Have you had any such issues? i appreciated your first thread very much. I have an 06 WRX and am hooking up three gauges: air/fuel, Exhaust temp and Turbo. Do you have any advice on the exhaust gauge? where should I drill the hole? the dealership said on our 06 WRXs that they already have a sensor installed, just no gauge hooked up or something to that extent. Any advice?

Assistance please

ninefourteener,

Did splicing into the 02 sensor on your 06 wrx cause your check engine light to come on? several other threads have warned me to not even do this gauge especially not to splice into the stock 02 sensor. I would appreciate your advice. I was told that if I do a cobb Accessport it will get rid of any check engine lights????? true????

Quote Originally Posted by Craiger184 View Post
    ninefourteener,

Did splicing into the 02 sensor on your 06 wrx cause your check engine light to come on? several other threads have warned me to not even do this gauge especially not to splice into the stock 02 sensor. I would appreciate your advice. I was told that if I do a cobb Accessport it will get rid of any check engine lights????? true????
    Wow... I wrote this thread like over a year ago..... weird that it was "revived"

I've installed 6 more gauges since then, and a better stereo--lol

To answer your question.... no, I've never had any adverse effects whatsoever. Once when going through an automatic car wash with and undersprayer, I got a CEL. I reset the computer though, and it never came back.

Granted, the first mod I EVER bought for this car was a cobb accessport, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Honestly though.... an A/F meter is useless... it's nothing but "bling".

I didn't know that when I bought it... and I'm not forking over the $$ for a wideband. So for now..... I have a pretty light on my dashboard--LOL
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

alewis814
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Honestly though.... an A/F meter is useless... it's nothing but "bling".

I didn't know that when I bought it... and I'm not forking over the $$ for a wideband. So for now..... I have a pretty light on my dashboard--LOL
    you have to many lights on your dashboard, looks like your walking the vegas strip from the drivers seat

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Hmmmmm... not sure... I would say you should try to re-check your work. I installed everything IN the car first. The red wire on the gauge went to the red wire on the stereo harness, the orange wire did the same, and the black did the same as well.

When I turned on the key, I got a light all the way on the lean side... that didn't move.

If you get that, you should be on the right track.

Once you do that.. hook up the purple wire on the gauge to the blue wire on the 02 harness, and you should get an appropriate signal when the engine is running.

If not, maybe the 02 sensor is wired differently on the 03?? Maybe call subaru and ask them what wire on the 02 sensor is the signal wire? Maybe it changed from your 03 to my 06??

i connected the purple wire to the blue wire and my check engine light came on.

hey i'm planning to get the lamco gauge pack installed(boost, volts, oil temp) this friday at a shop, with the housing that replaces the clock...

it's on an 02 WRX, what happens to the clock? do i just unplug it and that's it?

anyone here done any custom work like get it flush anywhere? or should i just go n get one of those vent-clip clocks? lol

for an 02.... yes, just unplug it.

06 and up have airbag indicators in them... thats why I kept it and mounted it in the lower din.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=165158
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.