blown amp? How do I check??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on blown amp? How do I check?? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Got a question for you car audio gurus. The rear speakers in my wifes car stoped working. They are hooked ...

blown amp? How do I check??

Got a question for you car audio gurus. The rear speakers in my wifes car stoped working. They are hooked to a small amp in the trunk. I checked the amp, and it is getting power fine. All the wires are connected just fine, and the signal cable is fine as well. However, I cant find a fuse on the amp itself. Is there a way to check if the amp is blown?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you have a voltmeter that's the best way to check, if not a test light will work too. Make sure you have 12v on the power input as well as the remote turn on. Test the ground too. If you tested the 12v power and remote with your test light/voltmeter hooked to a good ground somwhere in the car and it worked then move the test light/voltmeters ground input to your amps ground wire to test if that ground is good. Some amps turn on light will come on and a testlight will show it has power but it may only be 9 volts or something and not enough to actually be turning the amp on. Try disconnecting your sub/speakers that are hooked to the amp, if one of them is blown or grounded out it may cause the amp to go into protection and have no output. Is the amp hot? If it's real hot it may of gone into protection from running too hard. If the amp did blow you can usually smell it if you get close. Cooked electronics have a nasty smell and if you have it your amps done. The only other thing you need to check is that the amp is getting signal. That's alittle hard unless you have another good amp or another source somewhere. Most car audio shops will check your amp (bench test) for $15 tp $20 if nothing else works. Just make sure you go somewhere good so they don't try to sell you something you may not need. Hope this helps!
    "I see us as being in the art business. Art, entertainment and mobile sculpture, which, coincidentally, also happens to provide transportation."--Bob Lutz

www.audiointegrations.net

thanks for the reply. I have a test light, and I tested the power and the signal, and they both lit up. I havnt tried the ground cable yet.

Sounds like the ground to me

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.