Stripped my kartboy shift knob?

This is a discussion on Stripped my kartboy shift knob? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I picked up a nice kartboy shift knob about 4 months ago to go with my kartboy short shifter. It ...

Stripped my kartboy shift knob?

I picked up a nice kartboy shift knob about 4 months ago to go with my kartboy short shifter. It seems as if all the threads inside the knob are totaly worn off. I put the stock shift knob back on tonight without any issues and I inspected the threads on the ss and I didnt see any damage. I must have stripped it by overtightening it, but I didnt think I put it on that hard. I did a search and didnt find any people with the same problem. Was I supposed to use some sort of locktight? Maybe I got shipped the wrong shift knob? Help me out here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hmm it sounds like you did strip it. There really isn't a need for locktite unless you really don't want it to go anywhere, usually a few rotations does the trick. The only solution I can think of is to re-tap it? Or go to Home Depot and buy some of those metal sheets they use for stripped holes. That way the threads on the short shifter will grab. Good luck!
    2005 CGM STi