Help: Pioneer Stereo not Flush w JDM Bezel
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help: Pioneer Stereo not Flush w JDM Bezel within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been looking forward to installing a new HU in my 2011 WRX. I've read all of the historical posts ...

Help: Pioneer Stereo not Flush w JDM Bezel

I've been looking forward to installing a new HU in my 2011 WRX. I've read all of the historical posts on the install and decided to keep all original functionality and go with the JDM bezel for a clean/OEM appearance. I finished soldering the harness last night and received the JDM bezel. The problem is, when I sit the JDM bezel on the stereo it is recessed 1/4" which looks terrible.

Based on what I have read and seen for install pics, this should fit flush. There is definitely a chance that this is user error and I will be happy if one of you can point out something obvious that I'm missing. Besides being flat out wrong or missing something obvious, I'm wondering if it is possible that my JDM bezel has a defect. There is a seam running all around the din opening and I'm wondering if that had been machined off if the stereo would fit flush. As the JDM bezel is fairly expensive ($65) I'm not looking to modify it unless absolutely necessary.

Any info is definitely appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image5.JPG   image2 (2).JPG   image3 (2).JPG   image4.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Look at the mounting brackets for the double DIN unit...they usually have a bunch of different holes you can use. I know it was this way on the 2 different H/Us I installed on my 2005 and 2007 STI. This model should be no different.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium|Kona Blue|5.0L Coyote V8|6spd Manual|Corsa Catback Exhaust

I haven't even got to looking at the mounting brackets. The problem is that the Pioneer head unit doesn't fit in the JDM bezel. The more I look at it the more I think the Pioneer head unit might be a strange size. Unfortunately I have already soldered the harness and probably can't send it back.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So after a fair amount of hacking, I was able to trim down the JDM double din stereo bezel so the stereo sits nearly flush. I didn't want to do this but I think in the end it was the right decision.

I had to remove roughly 0.300" of material from the back side where the stereo interfered. Without removing this material there stereo would have been recessed by this distance.

I definitely recommend checking your bezel against a store model to ensure the fit prior to buying even a standard head unit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5869_1478551669730.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.