2017 wrx audio w/o navi, sound quality - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 2017 wrx audio w/o navi, sound quality within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; anyone have a tutorial on how to do the wiring to the stock HU for aftermarket subs?...

anyone have a tutorial on how to do the wiring to the stock HU for aftermarket subs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by VWynn View Post
    .....The stock HU in my '16 WRX Premium sometimes drops my bluetooth connection and when it reconnects the sound is distorted as if all the speakers are blown but if I switch the input to USB it plays the music perfectly fine.

Enough was enough. My DDX9902S came in the mail today and as soon as the rest of my ordered parts come in, that head unit is going bye bye.
    I am having the same problem with dropped bluetooth connections, but also random volume decreases while listening. Dealership Service Writer has witnessed the issues, but the actual service technician cannot replicate it. Dealer won't replace radio until full system locks up because SOA won't pay for it. SOA concurred with what the dealer said. Yesterday I thought my lucky day came when the head unit would not turn on even for reversing out of my garage, but it came back on when I restarted my car in the driveway. Damn damn damn damn. Considering going aftermarket HU, but I likely won't keep the car long enough to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by VWynn View Post
    The stock HU in my '16 WRX Premium sometimes drops my bluetooth connection and when it reconnects the sound is distorted as if all the speakers are blown but if I switch the input to USB it plays the music perfectly fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by JWWRX View Post
    I am having the same problem with dropped bluetooth connections, but also random volume decreases while listening. Dealership Service Writer has witnessed the issues, but the actual service technician cannot replicate it. Dealer won't replace radio until full system locks up because SOA won't pay for it. SOA concurred with what the dealer said. Yesterday I thought my lucky day came when the head unit would not turn on even for reversing out of my garage, but it came back on when I restarted my car in the driveway. Damn damn damn damn. Considering going aftermarket HU, but I likely won't keep the car long enough to make it worthwhile.
    Same problems here...except the head unit not turning on. Bluetooth issues galore. I never took it to the dealer. I needed to take in for a few warranty issues, but I just don't have time for that. I traded the car last week and I couldn't be happier.
    2017 Toyota Camry XSE V6
    2016 Subaru WRX Limited CBS, 6-Speed w/ STI Short Throw Shifter - TRADED
    2009 Scion xB - Hotchkis Lowering Springs, Etc. - SOLD

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 90Duck View Post
    I followed this guy's tuning suggestions from the linked youtube vid and I am happy enough with the sound now that I'm not going to bother upgrading anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_OhKHk9rys

It may be worth your 10 minute time investment to see what he does and try it. It doesn't make it into the HK system by any means, but a definite improvement over the stock settings in my opinion.

I have a 17 Limited and Friend has a 17 Base. The base car has those radio/adjustments in the video but my Limited does NOT. I have the fader and an equalizer and thats it. OEM system is horrible. Routinely have to crank it to 40+
    My 17 Forester had the same exact head unit and it was much better in that car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingoboy View Post
    Who knew Joe Pesci drove a WRX?!?! lol

Seriously, though, I will give this a go to help smooth things out until I can replace the system with something more to my liking. Thanks!
    IM saying tho. I was listening to this and I was Picturing Joe Pesci the whole time XD. Good info for sure. I had started playing with my settings before I had watched the video and some one had been screwing with the audio fade at the dealer cause it was WAAAAAAY off.

Im beginning to think that the system is the same quality as in the New Forrester, the difference is, the 17 forester is very quiet, the WRX, being a lot lower to the ground, having noisy tires and seemingly ZERO sound deadening just makes it a lot more difficult to hear it.

The EQ in the 17 Limited head unit does suck, but I listen to 99.9% of my music with Google Play. The built EQ in the app is much, much better and makes the system sound sooooo much better.
    2017 WRX Limited - Cobb Stage 2+
    2015 Yamaha FZ09

there are hidden menus on the stock units that slightly improve things. May want to look into that...there may be a setting that is all jacked up. Any bluetooth issue I have ever had has went away after I pull the battery connection for 15 minutes and it works like new...

havent found any hidden menus yet. Its equally disappointing whether BT, Sirrus, CD or wired to phone. Maybe its not so much the radio as the lack of sound deadening in the car vs the new Forester I had that makes it that much worse. Will try the google play and see if that makes a dif. Anyone try the powered subwoofer from Subaru? wicked $$$$ but my Crosstrek had one and it wasnt bad at all once you got it adjusted right. Prob cheaper and better to go aftermarket though

I followed this guy's tuning suggestions from the linked youtube vid and I am happy enough with the sound now that I'm not going to bother upgrading anything.

It may be worth your 10 minute time investment to see what he does and try it. It doesn't make it into the HK system by any means, but a definite improvement over the stock settings in my opinion.
    I adjusted my settings last night while watching this video. Really had no idea how crummy the BT sounds -vs- direct aux connection or other audio sources. Anyway, making the recommended adjustments made a noticeable improvement over the default settings & is worth a shot. I'm going to try it for a while before upgrading to an amp or powered subwoofer.

unfortunately that only works on the base radio. The Limited radio is different. Has an EQ instead of the vocal imaging stuff. Not sure which radio the premium gets. The Premium in my 17 Forester was the same as the one in my Limited WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by why2kmax View Post
    unfortunately that only works on the base radio. The Limited radio is different. Has an EQ instead of the vocal imaging stuff. Not sure which radio the premium gets. The Premium in my 17 Forester was the same as the one in my Limited WRX.
    Yeah, mine is a 2017 base STI without nav. From what I understand, it's the same head unit as the Limited, but without the HK upgrades or nav. I don't have the voice control settings that the guy referenced in the video, but has more range on the equalizer settings. I played around with it to find clearer sound and a little better bass. Basically turned down a lot of the midrange and it cleared up considerably. I still may wind up adding a 5 channel amp & sub to improve it overall. I don't dislike the functionality or appearance of the OEM HU, but find the starlink & other apps basically useless - as I did on my wife's new Outback Limited that has the HK system. I wish there was a "nav delete" option because no OEM nav system can compete with Google maps IMHO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.