Opinion on DIY vs Professional Sound Deadening vs Neither
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Opinion on DIY vs Professional Sound Deadening vs Neither within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello there, First post to the forums here. I've owned my '15 WRX base model for just about two years, ...

Opinion on DIY vs Professional Sound Deadening vs Neither

Hello there,

First post to the forums here. I've owned my '15 WRX base model for just about two years, and I am on the verge doing something drastic to address the noise coming from my car. I may have overly sensitive hearing or something of that nature, but with the combination of wind, road, and drivetrain noise, potential mixed in with the subpar stereo quality, I start to go crazy for trips in my car on the highway and end up not using my car when I'd like to for fearing of being exhausted and having a headache when arriving. .

I've found great information for where to start on Sounddeadenershowdown.com, and if I go the sound deadening route, I plan to use their suggestions/materials. I'm currently debating between three options:

a. Ordering the materials and attempting to do the modifications myself. To be honest, this seems a bit beyond my skill level due to needing to take off many panels, and makes me a bit nervous, but would make keeping the car reasonable to me

b. Using a local audio/car sound shop, which would bring the entire cost of the job up to $2500-3000

c. Getting rid of the car for something else, if either one of these above options doesn't make sense.

I know many people look for ways to reduce the weight of their car, and the work seems like it would be nearly irreversible due to the gluing/taping. And I feel like I should go ahead and start upgrading audio components if I am taking everything apart, but that is likely to open an additional money sink.

I foresee heading back to school in the next year or two, and may even not need a car depending on where I end up, meaning I'd like to keep the option of selling on the table. I was curious if other owners/potential owners of WRXs could chime in here for whether the DIY/professional route of adding 150lbs of sound insulation will negatively impact the value of the car, in addition to requiring me to spend some serious money.

Best Regards, and looking forward to your responses!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Water.....sometimes waves rqjoe's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I put house fiberglass in my doors and under the rear kick panels. Made quite a diff and almost no weight. Still not "quiet" but much better. I plan to crawl under the car and see if there are places I can stick dynamat to help down there.

Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy) SD_GR's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you consider the area that you are stuffing or dampening a sort of sealed enclosure (and if you're doing a door and go with this, you are an admirable optimist) then I suppose stuffing ought to lower the system impedance and the f at which that impedance occurs.

If on the other hand you consider the area you are stuffing some sort of vented (intentionally or not, tuned port or not) system, then both the system tuning and the system sensitivity ought to drop, but so will port effects -- or in a car's case, effects due to air leaks.

I've no idea what happens if you consider the system infinite baffle or a horn, but then again I as much about acoustics as I do about flying the space shuttle. In any case you'd be decreasing rattles, huffing, buzzing, etc. so the rest is probably secondary since the car is never going to be a critical listening environment and you'd improve your sound anyway. (In other words I do think removing existing stuffing from a system designed to have it would increase Q, but I don't know by how much, nor do I know that the opposite is always true).

Consider lining the rear 1/3 of the car, be it a boot/trunk or a hatch area, particularly around the wheel wells since that's where a lot of roar comes from.
    After a little while I felt a little better, but very little. I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun. I put them on and went out of the room. Fairwell, My Lovely
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

5. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you want to reduce road noise, rattles, and improve stereo sound quality, then I would do it. Personally, I would never pay a shop to have something like that professionally done.. I could do it better myself, for about 1/10th the cost.

I would DIY myself as well. I lined my trunk with 80mil GTMat and it was quite easy to do. It made a slight reduction in road noise and exhaust drone. I also did it to my wife's Toyota in the doors, trunk, and part of the floor. It isn't hard to do, just time consuming especially if you are unfamiliar with taking things apart. What helped me a lot was taking lots of photos along the way so I knew what went where when I was reassembling. Take your time and be thorough, and you will end up with a good result.

doing just the doors in mine improved it immensely

i use the new soundskin product. its phenominal

SoundSkins | #ThinkOutsideTheBox | SoundSkins Global

I did this with my 08 Tacoma and the out come was awesome! I plan on doing this with my 17 WRX. It's not hard to do yourself. All you need is a place to work on the car and the tools to remove the seats, door trim, ect. Again not hard at all, just takes a full day to do. Plus there is a ton of YouTube videos out there to help you out.

I have used and plan on using Second Skin Audio's products for my WRX. Vehicle Sound Deadening Materials for Noise Reduction, and Thermal Insulation. Call 800 679-8511. | Second Skin Audio, Made in the USA.

I've been contemplating on sound deadening the doors and the entire trunk area, but really I'm not quite annoyed enough yet of the road noise to go forward with it lol.
    Present: 2016 Subaru WRX Pro-Tuned
    Instagram: Steamax
    Build Thread: Click Here
    YouTube: Click Here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by phd12v View Post
    doing just the doors in mine improved it immensely

i use the new soundskin product. its phenominal

SoundSkins | #ThinkOutsideTheBox | SoundSkins Global
    +1
    I did just the doors and spare tire trunk area with dynomat extreme and had pretty good results considering it took less than an hour.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I think I'm going to pull the trigger and order the supplies soon. Because I live in an apartment I'm going to start with the doors and trunk first since I think I can get away with doing it in the parking lot. Once I get someone to let me borrow their drive way I'll finish the rest.

Here is what I think will do for the car with some to spare.
    Attachment 270210

have you looked at the soundskin yet?? you might want to check it out. it is like 2 in 1..... it works realllllllly good. i have been in the industry for almost 26 years and i was a big supporter of the dynamat extreme.....until i used this stuff.

I was just thinking about this today. I live in a town where the roads are straight trash. I find it to be so annoying to go on road trips leaving this town because I'm on a crappy highway for 2 hours.

A new set of wheels and tires will reduce tire noise. But, that's pretty pricey as well.

Anyway, maybe you wanna check this stuff out.

https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadeni...deadening+pads

I thought about buying this and doing the sound proofing myself. Its seems pretty cheap and its rated very well.

Let me know what you come up with. Because, I seriously considered getting rid of my car because of the road noise.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.