Subaru WRX Forum banner

Automatic door locking

12K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Samijean 
#1 ·
Hello All!

My 2016 STi Limited is just GREAT but I miss the automatically locking door locks. Short of installing an aftermarket alarm system, has anyone determined a method for accomplishing this? I thought about using the switch located in the drivers seat belt to trigger the locks to lock. Has anyone done this yet?

Thanks for the info.

#2 ·
Have not heard of this but....... I installed an adjustable timing relay to give my car 'retained accessory power' to the windows. I now can shut off the car and still roll up / set the windows where I want them. So just saying i'm sure there is a way to do the auto locks also. I found printing out the schematics invaluable.

#3 ·
I need this! Please tell more My windows are driving me crazy!

Also to the op I agree I was a little surprised that the doors don't auto lock when you start moving. I thought this was actually a safety requirement (law?). However I'm not really sure why you'd want this unless your STI is being mistaken for a taxi and strangers are hopping in the back. I'd recommend getting in the habit of hitting the switch manually right after you close the door. Of course I can't seem to get in the habit of closing my windows before shutting off the car..:rolleyes: so maybe you do want to hack up your wiring

#5 ·
you could wire a simple relay that when it sees you crank the starter, it sends a pulse to lock the doors....

SPDT relay pin 85 to ground, pin 86 to starter wire, pin 87 to ground, pin 30 to lock negative trigger... would cost less than a few dollars and about 15 min of time to do

#6 ·
vehicle wires you can use:

Starter --- black/white + ignition switch, white 8 pin plug, pin 3
OR
Second Starter --- white + ignition switch, white 8 pin plug, pin 7

Power Lock --- lt. green/black - driver kick, white 28 pin plug, pin 15

and ground the other 2 wires

easy lock at start up :)

#8 ·
What I am talking about is when I or any number of people get in the car and all doors are shut. Then I start the car and start moving and that is when I want the car to auto lock all doors. I have searched and searched the owners manual and I can't find any option for this feature. If yours does do this, could you tell me what page of the owner's manual you found out how to configure this option?

Thanks for the help.
Michael

#9 ·
Hello phd12v!

After thinking about it for a few minutes, I think your idea will work and be the best, easiest solution! I knew about the relay trick but I hadn't thought of using the starter signal to trigger it. I had thought about using the dome light as the trigger or the seat belt connecting signal but your idea is more elegant and simpler. That will be my project for the weekend.
Thanks. Michael

#13 · (Edited)
SUCCESS!!!

I got this working! I used the +12 volts to the starter solenoid to pull the relay down and used the driver's door lock signal to ground to lock the locks and it works great. You start the car and the locks lock while the starter motor is turning. When the engine starts, the starter motor stops turning then power to the relay is stopped and the relay opens. The relay is only held down while the starter motor is turning so not a long time with the relay held down. Relay and socket pigtail is $7.00 and is easily found at any auto parts store. The hard part is finding the correct wires to do this. The added ground wire is easy to connect. Just find a bolt and attach the ground wire to that. The door lock wire and the starter solenoid wire are buried behind the interior drivers fuse panel to the left of the dash. You need to take off the panel that the instrument dimmer switch is on and the fuse panel is right in front of you. The bad thing is that the starter solenoid relay is located on the relay panel behind that. To get access to that is the bear. It took me the better part of the day to access it. I removed the wires from the connectors and soldered my new wires onto the metal pins. Then the pins were re-inserted into the connector so no wires were cut. Cut wires always seem to come separated and cause all sorts of problems finding them. This way if anything happens to my new wires, the automatic door lock just does not function, the car stills starts and runs. The door locks will lock even with the doors open so be careful and not get locked out.

If you are contemplating this, get a copy of the wiring diagram for your model from the internet and I can give you what items to look for and find in the car.

I am really happy with how this works and the car should have come with this. So far I can see no problems with doing this, just be ready to disassembly that entire part of the car. Disconnect the battery before you start and know that when you first start it up again, it will take about 10 seconds of cranking before it starts. Don't know why, but it does. It also needs to relearn the fuel trims so the first 10-15 miles of driving are not the same as before but it comes back after that driving.

Be prepared to curse some as you are digging around those relays to get to where you need to be.

Michael

#14 ·
vehicle wires you can use:

Starter --- black/white + ignition switch, white 8 pin plug, pin 3
OR
Second Starter --- white + ignition switch, white 8 pin plug, pin 7

Power Lock --- lt. green/black - driver kick, white 28 pin plug, pin 15

if you would have taken the shroud off the column, the starter wire is right there at the ignition switch, and popped off the driver kickpanel, there is a harness right there with the door lock in it.

KUDOS for getting it working, hopefully that was cheaper than buying a whole keyless entry system to do it for you.

#15 ·
The starter wire in the column is a much smaller guage wire than the cold side of the relay contacts. I did not want to reduce the voltage to the relay coil in the starter relay, that is why I chose to tap the cold side of the starter relay contacts.

The door lock connector inside the driver kick panel is where I tapped into the lock signal and was very easy to access. I also chose to solder my wires to the pins inside the connectors rather than cut the wires and splice back together. Those solder joints always seem to cause problems down the road. If my solder joints fail, then the only thing that won't function properly is my automatic locks.

Thanks for the help.

Michael