Subaru WRX Forum banner

Basic Interior Lighting

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  WRX John 
#1 ·
'lo, new-ish (been around a month~ now) 2016 WRX owner here and I was hoping to get some feedback on swapping out the dingy 90's reminiscent yellow filament bulbs for some LED/CREE ones, specifically feedback from anyone who has done so and what specific ones they got that they've confirmed work fine.

Admittedly my main concern is avoiding anything that might derp up the electronics system at all as I've otherwise got no plans to do any serious modifications (at least for now) so would like to keep the general warranties intact, but since subaru doesn't seem to sell any Genuine alternative interior lighting kits I can't really get any warranty-friendly ones.

Any suggestions?

(Also I swear I searched around and even checked back a couple pages in this particular forum but I'll be damned if I could find any similar questions, everything I found was either external lighting or modifying the dash and/or footwell lighting, lol)

#6 ·
Be careful, the BIU's in the 2015 + WRX's are quite sensitive. Many have been fried when swapping to LED lights. Search LED BIU for more information. I kept the stock lights because dropping a couple hundred bucks on a new BIU doesn't validate brighter lighting.

#7 ·
I bought a full set of replacements for interior plus a few of the exterior LEDs (turns, reverse, license plate).

I was concerned about the BIU thing as well, I disconnected the battery before doing anything, replaced everything and plugged the battery back in, no problems as of yet, going on over 2 months. From what I've seen on the BIU issues, it seems there maybe a ground under one of the front seats that isn't totally secured, and somehow (coincidence or not) installing LEDs has caused some problems.

I double checked my grounds under my seats, with the power drivers seat, that was fun, there's a lot of crap under there. They were secure, so I went for it.

#8 ·
I didn't disconnect the battery at all but I otherwise made sure the doors were shut and what not before touching any of the lights, to avoid any juice going to them while swapping them around.

By all theoretical intents should be fine, replacing them all with LED's should be dramatically less draw, though I still haven't gotten around to replacing my forward c-lights with the module from DiodeDynamics I want to, been trying to find somewhere near-ish that might be able to do the install for me since I'm usually limited on time due to work stuff.

Edit: I should note I went with otherwise the lowest-level LED's for my vehicle (in terms of overall brightness and such), I could imagine if I got all the super-super bright lights where there might be issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.