Cylinder 4 Misfire?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cylinder 4 Misfire? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, my 2002 wrx is reading a cylinder 4 misfire every 20-30 miles or so (I delete the code ...

Cylinder 4 Misfire?

Hey guys, my 2002 wrx is reading a cylinder 4 misfire every 20-30 miles or so (I delete the code and it comes back). It has a GFB lightened under drive pulley, could that be causing something? My next guess it could be from stalling because it has an exedy stage 2 clutch and when i was first learning it i stalled it quite a bit, but everything is fine now. My third and final guess it could be the fuel pump or fuel filter, because for some reason when i turn the car off the fuel gauge still rads fuel...but I don't know how or why that would be related to a cylinder four misfire, but I'm just putting it out there, any advice/help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Might be the lightweight pulley. But it's in your best interest to read the link below:

IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!
    Billy
    2011 OBP WRX STi Sedan - click if bored
    2009 Ducati Monster 1100
    2008 Legacy 3.0R - SOLD
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - SOLD
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Facebook

I'm no expert but my 02 has a cylinder 3 miss recently. Always start from the cheapest thing (probably the fuel filter or spark plugs) and see if it fixes it if not move on to the next I don't know if the under drive pulpy would have a big effect and I don't think the clutch would. Check everything that has to do with ignition. Example I changed my file filter and spark plugs and file pump but in the end it turned out to be a bad coil pack that was not giving any juice to the plug so honestly that would be the first thing I check cause everyone if talked to recently has told me that their miss has been a bad coil pack. Lmk if this helps in any way

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice, whether you have experience or not any amount of help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Might be the lightweight pulley. But it's in your best interest to read the link below:

IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!
    Yeah I'm guessing it is the pulley, but I will further investigate, thank you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by purexsamx360 View Post
    Think a little more logically though. If it was the pulley, then it would likely throw a general misfire code or codes on all cylinders. If it's only on one cylinder it leads me to believe that the problem lies somewhere on that one cylinder. I would start with spark plugs, then move to coil pack and finally to a compression test.
    Billy
    2009 Ducati Monster 1100
    2008 Legacy 3.0R - SOLD
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Facebook

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    This is posted in "interior mods" which made me laugh for some reason, but anyway, bill has given you some good advice, so hopefully you get to the bottom of your issues!
    I have an STi with an intake and no tune, I never change my oil, and my wheel spacerz are mad tyte.

Quote Originally Posted by purexsamx360 View Post
    Think a little more logically though. If it was the pulley, then it would likely throw a general misfire code or codes on all cylinders. If it's only on one cylinder it leads me to believe that the problem lies somewhere on that one cylinder. I would start with spark plugs, then move to coil pack and finally to a compression test.
    Update: I cleared the code and it is now reading a misfire on cylinders 2,3,4. It seems random every time the light comes on. Ranging between all cylinders or specific ones.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok, that means your problem is broad. Now, I'm back to it potentially being the lightweight pully. Put the old one back on and see what happens. After that I would change out all the spark plugs. Next I would check the MAF sensor. Clean that off. Then I would move to fueling/injector issues.
    Billy
    2009 Ducati Monster 1100
    2008 Legacy 3.0R - SOLD
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Facebook

Ok, that means your problem is broad. Now, I'm back to it potentially being the lightweight pully. Put the old one back on and see what happens. After that I would change out all the spark plugs. Next I would check the MAF sensor. Clean that off. Then I would move to fueling/injector issues.
    I don't have an oem pulley since the previous owner put this one on. The light has not come back on for a little bit now, so when it does depending on what the code reads, I'll get an oem pulley and see if that corrects it. If not, I'll check everything else you said in the order stated, thank you. Just out of pure curiosity, you wouldn't know anything about DRL's would you? One of mine went out today and I switched the bulbs to see if that was the problem and when I checked they were both out....my next guess it is the fuse, the filament in the bulb, or the relays. My parking light switch does not work as well as my left fog light, but my main concern currently are the DRL because I need the car driveable at night.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.