3M Color Stable Window Film
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 3M Color Stable Window Film within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just had my WRX tinted with 3M's Color Stable tint. CS20 (20%) all the way around. This is my ...

3M Color Stable Window Film

I just had my WRX tinted with 3M's Color Stable tint. CS20 (20%) all the way around. This is my second car with Color Stable and I love the quality of the film (I like it better than Lumar which I've had in the last- looks better and I never had an issue with it). I debated doing the 3M Crystalline, which is basically clear tint, but blocks most of the heat and UV rays but doesn't obstruct view at all. I read that it's a lot harder to install and has more imperfections than other films, so I just stuck with the tried and true Color Stable.

I think it's a little too dark for my tastes. I had 35% on a black vehicle before and that looked perfect, but I figured since this vehicle is silver, I'd need to go darker. Whoops. I assume I'll get pulled over and have to strip it off soon anyways.. $325 for the film and installation. Had a few small bubbles, but I'm sure in a week or two it'll dry out.

What's your favorite window tint film?

Pics:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Factory privacy glass. Seeing as Subaru doesn't offer it, nothing that is a film.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The Disgruntled Veteran Defiance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Has anybody pointed out that your license plate frame is upside down? That would bother me more than how dark the tints are

Quote Originally Posted by Defiance View Post
    Has anybody pointed out that your license plate frame is upside down? That would bother me more than how dark the tints are

Yessir, if you noticed, it's a temp tag. Once I get my real plates in, the frame goes bye bye.

I'm running Suntek Carbon - just had it installed this past Tuesday. MD is legally 35% so I went with Suntek Carbon at 38%. Is dark enough to be comfortable in sunny morning rush hour traffic but no so dark as to be uncomfortable to see through at night when you have to maneuver the car in tight spaces.

BTW: this is on a crystal white pearl car

Quote Originally Posted by ChewinDC View Post
    I'm running Suntek Carbon - just had it installed this past Tuesday. MD is legally 35% so I went with Suntek Carbon at 38%. Is dark enough to be comfortable in sunny morning rush hour traffic but no so dark as to be uncomfortable to see through at night when you have to maneuver the car in tight spaces.

BTW: this is on a crystal white pearl car
    I never tried Suntek film, but I heard the carbon is a beautiful color of film. The color stable almost has like a blueish hue at certain angles; I heard the carbon doesn't do that. I may have to try that on another vehicle. Where in MD? I've had D&L do some work before.

Takoma Park (hippie central) :-D But it's close to downtown DC for my commutes and not so bad for my GF who has to commute to Columbia & Jessup, MD.

I'll take pics of my tint for comparison but today was crappy overcast weather, so would probably look much darker than it really is.

I'm also using 3m Color Stable but I already knew I wanted 35% since I had 38% on my GTI which was a grey color and looked just right imo. I had 20% on a blue car before and it was way to dark for me.
    Present: 2016 Subaru WRX Pro-Tuned
    Instagram: Steamax
    Build Thread: Click Here
    YouTube: Click Here

THE Resident Non-shifter JaySin's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've always used 3M Color Stable tint...on ALL my cars. I've always done 35% on the front doors and 5% on everything in the rear. Never had any issues...with the tint or the law.

I'm debating 20% or 35%. Pics I've seen of the 35% I feel is to light. I want something you can't see into the car if your driving next to me, or just barely see me, but not something to dark where at night I can't see out the windows.
    And when I leave, come together like butt cheeks

Quote Originally Posted by JaySin View Post
    I've always used 3M Color Stable tint...on ALL my cars. I've always done 35% on the front doors and 5% on everything in the rear. Never had any issues...with the tint or the law.

No problems from the law because you're in Detroit.. All the cops vanished from there LOL!!

To the other guy- your car is silver like mine, I have the 3M Color Stable, VLT on it is 18% (visible light transmission) and it's pretty damn dark... I wish I would have went with 35%.

THE Resident Non-shifter JaySin's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin2134 View Post
    I'm debating 20% or 35%. Pics I've seen of the 35% I feel is to light. I want something you can't see into the car if your driving next to me, or just barely see me, but not something to dark where at night I can't see out the windows.
    35% is what I have been using on the front windows on all my cars. It's just right in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tokksic View Post
    No problems from the law because you're in Detroit.. All the cops vanished from there LOL!!

To the other guy- your car is silver like mine, I have the 3M Color Stable, VLT on it is 18% (visible light transmission) and it's pretty damn dark... I wish I would have went with 35%.
    True for Detroit proper. Although the law is much more present these days. I'm not in Detroit...another county over.

Its 35% for me, just right darkness but not too dark at night.

It depends what type of film you're using, too. Find out the films VLT number. I regret going 20%. But some 35% films VLT is north of 40, so they're really light. Color Stable's is pretty dark.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.