Track day rear view camera
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Track day rear view camera within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Recently I installed a Forester HU into my 13 WRX. As some of you may know, it is a direct ...

Track day rear view camera

Recently I installed a Forester HU into my 13 WRX. As some of you may know, it is a direct plug-n-play for "most" 08+ WRX/Sti's depending on donor radio.

Model on front of HU: CP635U1
    Part number: 86201sc630
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2567 (1).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	220378
    Out with the old

Name:	IMG_2569 (2).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	220386
    In with the new

Name:	IMG_2583 (3).jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	220394
    Set a screen saver

Overall it is a great upgrade from the Nintendo 64-bit looking OEM display screen. My donor HU has HD radio that comes in beautifully and the ability to use a rear view camera. Install literally took 5 min.

I plan on installing a rear view camera at some point (research on which brand pending)

Now here are my questions to you, all knowing community...

1) Is there any further modification needed once the camera is installed? Meaning, is there some wiring involved to tell the HU that the car is in reverse? Or will the vehicle speed sensor already in the car take care of that?

2) This is where sh*t gets tricky... I do a lot of track days, and I hate, Hate, HATE the look of the massive rear view mirrors that span the length of the windshield. So, I am taking a page out of the Le Mans #racecar book. Depending on the answer to the 1st question, I would like to wire a toggle switch where the reverse camera would be always on. I would then adjust the camera lens so I would be able to see any cars behind me etc. (obligatory: NOT THAT I WILL NEED TO LOOK BEHIND ME CAUSE I'M SO FAST ON THE TRACK I CAN HANG WITH GT3's ALL DAY ) In all seriousness, what would be needed to accomplish this? How can I "trick" the HU into thinking I am in reverse, when in reality I am banging gears and apexing corners all day.

Bonus: I found a "secret" menu on the new HU that allows me to remove the green/yellow/red reverse lines. So ideally the screen would only be displaying the cars behind me with no overlays. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

I am fairly mechanically inclined and do all of my own work on my car, however I haven't really delved into wiring (except a mad-tyte stereo and subs in my 97 Blazer in High School) So please if need be, talk to me like an infant.
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers." -Colin McRae

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice screen saver! That would be awesome if you could have your location overlaid on that.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your question, but I would appreciate instructions on how to get the backup camera during regular driving as well. (stock 2016 base HU).
    2016 Lapis Blue WRX Since 7mi
    2004 4Runner Since 50mi

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'd have concerns about you looking down at the HU during a track day...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

^^I thought of this too.
    But wouldn't glancing down at the HU be the same as glancing up at the rear view mirror? Or out the side view mirrors?

Also, assuming no a$$ hats are on the track, I'll only be glancing in the passing zones (read: straights)
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers." -Colin McRae

Have word in with the all knowing SVXdc. I'll update when I know more.

Update:

SVXdc was kind enough to explain the wiring process for what I am looking to do.
    His email below.

I have a SPDT switch on the way, as well as his 8 pin harness and his #16 slot reverse signal. I hope to write a quick tutorial while installing.

"Yes, you can easily wire a switch to view the camera while you're not in reverse.

You'll need a SPDT switch (3 terminals, with two 'on' positions, optionally with center "off"). The switch will allow you to select between:

1) Normal operation (car's reverse gear signal connected to HU, triggering camera view), and

2) Forced 'on' (send +12V into the HU's reverse signal input).

If you use a switch with has a center off position, you'll have one more mode:

3) Rear camera disabled (HU will work same way it does now -- no camera)

Wire the switch's common pin to the HU's reverse signal input (pin #16 on the 16-pin aux/mic socket). Wire one of the switch's 'on' terminals to the car's reverse signal wire. Wire the other 'on' terminal to +12V Accessory power.

Be sure to do that without sending +12V to the rest of the car's reverse gear circuit (otherwise you'll be lighting your back-up lights, and other bad things might happen with your transmission and traction control).

If you don't power your camera from the HU's 6V camera power lead, you'll need to power the camera from the same wire that you connect to the center terminal of the switch and the HU's reverse signal input (so both the camera and HU get the same 12V power at the same times).

If you do use the HU's 6V lead, it will power the camera whenever you need it."

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.