15-16 Footwell Illumination Cheat
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 15-16 Footwell Illumination Cheat within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys apologies if this has already been covered somewhere but I couldn't find I and thought it might be ...

15-16 Footwell Illumination Cheat

Hey guys apologies if this has already been covered somewhere but I couldn't find I and thought it might be useful. I just installed an OEM footwell illumination kit on my 16. Rather than spending $130 on the kit made for the 15-16s though, I took a chance and ordered the kit for the previous model years that the dealer and many owners said would not fit. Well, $40 for the H201SSC100 kit on Amazon was money well spent. Rather than plugging in to the hazards with the new kit, this one plugged right in to the cubby light and lit right up. No splicing, no hassle; literally plug and play. The install took less than an hour, and most of that was getting the panel that houses the cubby light to pop out. If anyone were looking to do this, I don't see any reason to pay $$ for the newer kit when the old one looks exactly the same for almost $100 less. Hope this helps. Pics to follow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here are the pics. Sorry about the IPhone quality on the night shot but the LEDs are subtle so the camera had trouble picking them up. They're not bright or distracting at all. Just a little ambience. The second pic is looking at the back of the panel that houses the cubby light (red socket) and cigarette lighter. All you have to do is disconnect the cubby light, then plug the harness in its place. The harness that comes with the kit is 2 white plugs and two black. One white goes into the red socket of the cubby light, while the other white plug goes to the car harness (that was previously plugged into the cubby light). The two black plugs are for the LEDs once you run them to either side. I found it easiest to remove the glove box and side panels for this. Once installed, the LEDs are on when the headlights are on, and work with the dimmer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by Axis527; 08-20-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Clarification

Now that's using your noodle!

Back when I ordered my 13 wrx, the OEM footwell light kit was $40+/- Can't believe they want $140 now!
    "Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers." -Colin McRae

Thank you Axis527 for sharing that mod!

I Support ClubWRX
    Huh...no **** that's awesome. I have a friend with a 15 sti looking at a few parts ftom my 09...guess that will work

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for sharing this! I ended up making my own illumination kit with some LED strips, but had I known this, I would have gone your route. $130 for some wires and LEDs is just insane....
    ...BECAUSE RALLY CAR

Current Build: 2015 WRX Premium - WRB - Stage 2

Just purchased... thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Axis527 View Post
    Here are the pics. Sorry about the IPhone quality on the night shot but the LEDs are subtle so the camera had trouble picking them up. They're not bright or distracting at all. Just a little ambience. The second pic is looking at the back of the panel that houses the cubby light (red socket) and cigarette lighter. All you have to do is disconnect the cubby light, then plug the harness in its place. The harness that comes with the kit is 2 white plugs and two black. One white goes into the red socket of the cubby light, while the other white plug goes to the car harness (that was previously plugged into the cubby light). The two black plugs are for the LEDs once you run them to either side. I found it easiest to remove the glove box and side panels for this. Once installed, the LEDs are on when the headlights are on, and work with the dimmer.
    Hey Axis. In the picture it faintly looks like the cubby light is still lit. Is it just a reflection or the plug splices to light both? Thanks

Happy to help! I almost tried to make my own with LED strips but really wanted to match the low light of the cubby. I kind of want to find a similar low-light red LED for the cup holders but don't want to overdo it lol. Maybe those could be on a switch to keep them optional? Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1k View Post
    Hey Axis. In the picture it faintly looks like the cubby light is still lit. Is it just a reflection or the plug splices to light both? Thanks
    It splices to light both. The colors just matched perfectly. Score one for oem lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Axis527 View Post
    It splices to light both. The colors just matched perfectly. Score one for oem lol.
    AWESOME thanks for the quick response!!!

What's the best way to remove the cubby?

Take the radio bezel out and you can just unplug the light from there

Quote Originally Posted by GT800 View Post
    Take the radio bezel out and you can just unplug the light from there
    ^^^^^This. I'm an idiot and tried to go from the bottom trim. Radio bezel takes 5 seconds.

Got mine installed.
    Saw some pictures on NASIOC where the driver side was mounted but my car didn't seem to have a hole in the same spot.
    The picture had it mounted on a metal beam with a hole in it but my car doesn't have a hole there (there's also an airbag right there as well).
    Ended up using some double sided tape.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.