Subaru WRX Forum banner

15-16 Footwell Illumination Cheat

26K views 74 replies 31 participants last post by  Forever1337 
#1 ·
Hey guys apologies if this has already been covered somewhere but I couldn't find I and thought it might be useful. I just installed an OEM footwell illumination kit on my 16. Rather than spending $130 on the kit made for the 15-16s though, I took a chance and ordered the kit for the previous model years that the dealer and many owners said would not fit. Well, $40 for the H201SSC100 kit on Amazon was money well spent. Rather than plugging in to the hazards with the new kit, this one plugged right in to the cubby light and lit right up. No splicing, no hassle; literally plug and play. The install took less than an hour, and most of that was getting the panel that houses the cubby light to pop out. If anyone were looking to do this, I don't see any reason to pay $$ for the newer kit when the old one looks exactly the same for almost $100 less. Hope this helps. Pics to follow.

#2 · (Edited)
Here are the pics. Sorry about the IPhone quality on the night shot but the LEDs are subtle so the camera had trouble picking them up. They're not bright or distracting at all. Just a little ambience. The second pic is looking at the back of the panel that houses the cubby light (red socket) and cigarette lighter. All you have to do is disconnect the cubby light, then plug the harness in its place. The harness that comes with the kit is 2 white plugs and two black. One white goes into the red socket of the cubby light, while the other white plug goes to the car harness (that was previously plugged into the cubby light). The two black plugs are for the LEDs once you run them to either side. I found it easiest to remove the glove box and side panels for this. Once installed, the LEDs are on when the headlights are on, and work with the dimmer.

Attachments

#9 ·
Happy to help! I almost tried to make my own with LED strips but really wanted to match the low light of the cubby. I kind of want to find a similar low-light red LED for the cup holders but don't want to overdo it lol. Maybe those could be on a switch to keep them optional? Hmmm.

#15 ·
Got mine installed.
Saw some pictures on NASIOC where the driver side was mounted but my car didn't seem to have a hole in the same spot.
The picture had it mounted on a metal beam with a hole in it but my car doesn't have a hole there (there's also an airbag right there as well).
Ended up using some double sided tape.

#28 ·
I don't have any photos, but if you take off the top vent, there's 2 bolts there, and one on each side of the unit housing. On the driver side, you have to remove the plastic piece between the stereo unit and steering wheel, passenger side requires removing the glove box. Once you've done that, look for the similar looking bolts to what you took out earlier. You might say to yourself, "Those? But they're pretty far back..." That's what you're looking for. Once all 4 are removed, just gently slide it up and out.

It's a pain to get out, but just wait until you have to put it back together. I left the two side bolts out just in case I have to dig in there again.

#35 ·
As been said before, if you have a 7" Starlink, you will need to remove the unit (2 top bolt, 2 lower rear-side bolts) in order to access the cubby light connector. I removed driver lower dash and knee airbag, also the passenger glovebox and the lower dash/trim panel behind it. After that, it's easy to get to the 2 bolts. Some have done it without touching the airbag and trim panel, but I didn't want to risk dropping the bolts.

If you have 5" radio, removing the bezel is sufficient.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.