Subaru WRX Forum banner

15-16 Footwell Illumination Cheat

26K views 74 replies 31 participants last post by  Forever1337 
#1 ·
Hey guys apologies if this has already been covered somewhere but I couldn't find I and thought it might be useful. I just installed an OEM footwell illumination kit on my 16. Rather than spending $130 on the kit made for the 15-16s though, I took a chance and ordered the kit for the previous model years that the dealer and many owners said would not fit. Well, $40 for the H201SSC100 kit on Amazon was money well spent. Rather than plugging in to the hazards with the new kit, this one plugged right in to the cubby light and lit right up. No splicing, no hassle; literally plug and play. The install took less than an hour, and most of that was getting the panel that houses the cubby light to pop out. If anyone were looking to do this, I don't see any reason to pay $$ for the newer kit when the old one looks exactly the same for almost $100 less. Hope this helps. Pics to follow.

#71 ·
I installed the same kit last week. Had a bugger of a time with the stereo as everyone, but I learned a lot in the process.

Ya, I kinda agree with Pizza_Pablo with the install - not sure what I'm getting out of it personally, but my son thinks its cool and I don't have to turn on the interior lights to find stuff in the footwell. Glad I didn't buy the other kit for over $100!

For me, the same red light installed in the headliner above the shifter console would be great! That area is dark and I would like a faint light there for sure. I saw that in another car (outback?) and it was a nice touch.

chris

#72 · (Edited)
I'm sitting in our '14 Forester, as I read this, looking at the ambient light cast down, onto the shifter area, from the little light in the map light housing. That is one of the many things, that we really like about the Forester.
I'm trying to figure out how to mod the Starlink or SOS lights into an ambient light for the shifter area in the WRX.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#74 ·
Nope. Even after the second dismantling and reassembly.
The left over screw is a bit smaller than those holding on the globe box surround and most everything else. I have it standing by if a hole is found.
I didn't take the center console out, the second trip in, but I know the two screws, inside the console bucket, are black and I recall reinstalling those.
We may never know.... \_0_/

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#75 · (Edited)
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to chime in with my experiences for anyone else still looking to do this install. If you have a 2015+ STI with the STI logo right above the shifter that lights up you can completely avoid removing the stereo and just plug the harness into the STI logo harness. This makes the installation 100% easier and has the same effect. Had this installed in about 20 min.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.